Speedster and Rolls Royce

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster and Rolls Royce
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 06:45 am:

I had the rare opportunity to get a photo of my speedster and a one of a kind concours winner Rolls-Royce at the coffee and cars in Las Vegas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:14 am:

Your car looks just as good as that Rolls & I bet it's more fun to drive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:40 am:

I love speedsters as much or more than the next guy, but I would trade my Mercury speedster for that Rolls.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Different strokes for different folks :-) both look good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

that is one smooth body for a Rolls, they usually have "dumpy" English designed bodies. I wonder if it's a late American Rolls (Yes, for a few years they were built in the USA, in Sprngfield, MA)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

The Rolls Royce is a 1929-31 Springfield Phantom I. The body style was called a Newmarket Convertible Sedan and was a Brewster design. While it looks like a phaeton, it has cleverly disguised roll up windows in the doors, so it becomes a fully enclosed car when the top is up. The left hand drive, bumpers, headlamps, fenders and wheels are the key external parts which identify it as a Springfield-built Rolls Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

John - please show more of your slick speedster :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Ah Ha!! I called it! Also the color of the RR badge on the radiator, but can't see it clearly in this pic. I worked for years on a P-1 Piccadilly Roadster--very well-engineered car.
But , the T speedster is a lot easier to deal with and lots of fun too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

I guess I'm a "common man" at heart. I could very easily see myself having a blast in the speedster. (My record is four sheriffs following me in my "Hot Rod" 54'F100, long story there...) Wahoo!
In the Rolls, nose up in the air, pinky finger out (different finger whilst driving the speedster) eating crumpets (dang bland, those crumpets)drinking tea and being bored to death, no thanks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

With a bit of determination, I think I'd learn to 'tolerate' that Rolls, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Ah, but in the Rolls, you can pull up to something like, say, a Yugo and ask, "Pardon me, but would have some grey poupon? My Frankfurter is a bit dry." (No Rolls owner would say "Hot Dog"!) Heh heh heh.
One more good thing about the speedster, you don't have to worry about folks leaning on your fenders with belt buckles or rivets in their jeans!!
"Fenders? We Don' need no stinkin' fenders!!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

-David-
At the shows, we often referred to 'The Killer Bees'.... 'Belt buckles, bicycles, and baby strollers.' There is a reason to sometimes have spectator barricades. When you've spent considerable time and money for your car's appearance, 'common sense' seems to elude some people. I've had a gal tap her diamond ring on a fender just to check if the car was made of fiberglass or metal! I said "What the HELL do you think you're doing?" She and another gal friend looked at me like I was from outer space, and walked away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Yeah Marv, there's no cure for the clueless. I've had show cars too, and I've been a judge in many shows--and some owners are clueless! I'm glad I don't have any show cars now--too nerve wracking. We were burglarized once when I had one, and although their fingerprints were all over the car (and the cops didn't bother taking them!), the car was unharmed. Whew!! I was not that sad to see it leave me, although I do wonder where it is today.
My '16 T will be a full-out restoration, but it will get driven! It will gain "patina" as I own it, and use it. Barney, on the other hand will remain "a survivor" and just be fun to take places and drive on nice days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

It was fun seeing people look at both of them. Roger, here is one just after I installed the 26/27 wire wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Neat speedster/racer, you just need to find a muddy road to break in those wheels to fit the rest of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Walt, I have had them dirty, one of these days it will be on Vegas Rat rods racing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Call me weird but if someone came up to me and said, "Take one, it's yours," I'd be driving off in the speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 12:09 am:

Well, gotta say, had a Springfield Rolls in the family for years, and for my money I'd rather have your speedster.

The Rolls is a tank to drive with far to many blind spots. Let's see the new cylinder head was 10 grand alone, 20 years ago. All aluminum head phantoms need a new cylinder heads sooner or later. today they are close to 20 grand.

Now if I was going to spend another 10 grand for a head it would be a Fronty or a Galivan. I far more enjoy my speedsters and regular t's to that old Rolls.

Just love your creation of interesting and mismatched parts, a perfect combination.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Thanks for the nice thoughts, One day there was about 6 police cars all stopped and all appeared to be busy, so I was passing by thinking I may go unnoticed and instantly I was in tow of one of the cruisers lights and siren #@&!!##, The two policemen jumped out before we all stopped ##%%&&*$$$ What is it?? Whew" They just had to take a look at it :-) Since then most just wave and some look a bit more serious.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration