Old Fashioned Sound "Ooga" 12V Air Horn Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Fashioned Sound "Ooga" 12V Air Horn Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:30 am:

Can the Old Fashioned Sound "Ooga" 12V Air Horn that Harbor Freight has on sale for $10.95 be converted to 6 volts in a reverse engineering manner similar to the 6 volt starter being upgraded to operate at 12 volts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:37 am:

James,

The HF horn is a motor driven diaphragm horn, not a compressor type. I believe theirs is a permanent magnet type motor which cannot be revised to 6V operation. The original Model A motors had wound fields and no magnets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:47 am:

simple answer is not directly.
However if you are able to find a step up transformer that will bring the 6 volts up to 12 volts it could be done but it would be cheaper to find a 6 volt horn on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Give it a shot as is. I had one. It's not bad. Might take a half a sec longer to crank up fully on 6 vts. but I used it untouched. Hell it's only free wheelin'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 10:38 am:

G.R. Them step up DC transformers are rare as chickens teeth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 11:19 am:

If you are asking about those red plastic horns, they don't really "oogah" as much as "bark." I tried one on 6V hoping to slow it down so that it would sound more like "oogah," but the sound was still more of a barking noise. The "oogah" comes from the old motor winding up to speed and then slowing back down when power is removed. The modern permanent magnet motor is fast and instant start and stop, so no "oogah," it's more like "ooog."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 11:23 am:

G. R. - step up transformers only work with AC voltage.

Jeff, I did not know the new ones were plastic.

The ones sold a few years ago were all metal.

That is the type I was asking about, as it seemed I repaired one that led me to believe it could be converted, but I did not make or save a wiring diagram.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Brown on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/converters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

OK I meant converter but my electrical knowledge is limited. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

J C Whitney used to sell these in both 6 and 12 volt. At the time I thought they were cheaply made, but the plastic ones are even of cheaper construction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

I mentioned in an earlier thread that you can create a 12v supply for LED's by adding a small second 6v battery in series. The same trick would work for this horn. Try the horn with a modern car's 12v battery. If you like the sound, get one of these little 6v batteries, and put it in line between the horn switch and the horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

I went through three of those Harbor Freight cheapies and finally gave up. I bought an old fashioned one and it has been working ever since.
Also when installed near the exhaust stack they can melt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

Dan Brown,

Many of these "new" old sounding horns draw more amps than those little converters provide.

Save some grief...look at the power requirements of one of those horns before you buy it or the converter.

And the saddest part is that the literature you can read on the 'net does not tell you...you have to read that on the package!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Brown on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Dave
Thank you but I was aware of that. Don't know what happened to the rest of my post ,only that link showed up. That was part of a response to a earlier post about converting 6 to 12 volts. but I see that has since been resolved

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration