Steward 490 Speedometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steward 490 Speedometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Having a bit of a problem trying to get my speedometer working on my 26 t. It works when I have it out of the dash,but when I install it back in it's a a no go. I'm beginning to think the shaft is too short,because when I put it back together I make sure the shaft is tight into the head and then lay it on the floor.
With the front end off ground I spin the wheel and it works. I then have to take it apart to install it back in the dash and there seems to be to problem. I can't get the shaft to stay up tight in the head.
I think I need about 1/4" more of shaft.
Is it possible to weld the tip with a Mig without damaging it?
This car is supposedly all original.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Barnett on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Well, you have one thing that stands out in your post. You mention that you are laying the speedo on the floor when testing it but that isn't how it is mounted to the dash. See if you get the same issue by holding it or mounting it vertically when testing it. Maybe something isn't quite right internally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Assuming you have an early 490 there is a retainer that holds the cable in the speedometer head that locks with a screw and that may not be holding. It is not the best set up. The later ones used a conventional threaded end that works much better so they obviously had issues with the earlier design. I doubt the cable is too short so I would try to put the cable on before installing the speedometer in the dash making sure it is in place and secure and then install the head in the dash with the cable on it making the connection at the road gear last. You should be able to see if the cable is long enough when you make the last connection. My car is a '27 but had an earlier 490 in it that was a constant problem. I switched to a later 490 with the threaded end and changed the cable housing eventually to solve the problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration