Serial number plate on the firewall?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Serial number plate on the firewall?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 11:48 am:

I thought that prior to December 1925, the only number on a Model T was on the engine block, but I have now been told that cars up to about 8,000,000 (wooden firewall) often or usually also had a serial number on the firewall.
Can anyone tell me if this is correct please?
I cannot find a mention of it in McCalley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Without looking it up, I don't think the plates were numbered by 1,000,000. the plate number did not match the engine number except in the most earliest production. Check the T encyclopedia on this site, I believe this is covered there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

While what David said may be true for US production cars, the ones built in Canada or over seas my be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Mark,
Good point, I didn't notice his location, My Bad!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:18 am:

I believe 1915 is the final year for car numbers on the patent plate. In 1916, they still had the brass serial number plate, but there were no numbers on it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration