Brass flexible horn tubing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass flexible horn tubing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

I bought a nice brass horn with tapered brass flexible brass tubing about 6 feet long. The horn and tubing are in excellent shape except somebody painted the horn and tubing. This horn was on a large British car probably Rolls Royce, but I plan to use it on our new Model T speedster.
What is the best and safest method to remove the paint, especially on the tubing coils which have paint between each piece of the bent tubing.
Thanks
Garry Potter
garrypotter@rogers.com
705 487-1788

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Aircraft paint stripper from your home convenience store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Royce
Thanks for your idea. I am concerned the stripper would remain in the crevices of the flexible horn tubing and be a persistent problem with seepage for a long time
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Gary, if you're uneasy about the stripper, try soaking it for an hour or so totally immersed in good 'ol lacquer thinner. Won't hurt the brass, strips off almost anything, and vaporizes totally dry in minutes. I bet it'll do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

That is never the case with chemical stripper. Lots of folks with an unreasonable and baseless fear on the internet though.

Follow the directions on the can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Used brake fluid, it's free

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

It appears that everyone has a chemical recommendation, rather than abrasive
Thanks for the input
Garry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration