Carpolo with Ford-Model-T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carpolo with Ford-Model-T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Hi,

I found the following picture:carpolo

No joke; it is true; found the picture in the "encyclopedia of forgotten sports". I am not sure, but I think it's a model t.
Do you believe this story?
I will make investigations and publishing the results on my homepage www.ford-model-t.de.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Yes, posed picture of stripped down T's. There has been a discussion of this in the past,several times. I am sure a lot of new people have never seen it. You can see where the props were retouched.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Regina, Saskatchewan ... just down the road a ways. Most of these polo photos are retouched but not this one. The front car was simply placed atop the back one. No supports needed.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

You are correct, Garnet. Looking closer, I see this is not the same picture I have an original copy of. The chassis in the picture I have have one piece spindles. I believe mine was on the wall in a dealership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Auto Polo even has a Wiki article now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_polo

Here's a little action clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_d03yVC4z4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Roger, thanks for the Wiki and the action clip link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Here's a link to the article that accompanied that photo on the internet:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/when-it-got-too-boring-guys-would-grab- their-mallets-jump-in-their-model-ts-and-smash-into-each-other

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Pretty crazy ! Then again, polo isn't an especially sane proposition even on horseback. After all, it began with wild Afghanis playing ball with the decapitated heads of their enemies . . .

I'd guess the popularity of the "sport" waned with the demise of the Model T - later models are just too cumbersome. If you gotta do this, looks to me like as with so many things, a Model T does it best !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Auto polo looks like it would be much more funnerer than just racing around a track all afternoon.

Garnet

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration