TIMER QUESTION AGAIN

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TIMER QUESTION AGAIN
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I have ordered a timer and roller for my car (1921 Touring). The car didn't have a timer on it when I bought it. My car is supposed to be delivered this Saturday and I hope the timer will be here by then, so I can attempt to start the car right away. My question for the future is... How can we know which timers use the factory Ford roller? I see quite a few different brands of timers for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Takes some footwork on that one.

The Ford timer case in many years has the script on the timer rod connector. Then you know it is Ford made, and uses the Ford roller timer.

Many timers can be divided into 3 types, roller rotor, brush rotor, and flap rotor.

As for roller rotors, some aftermarket timer cases MAY be able to use the Ford roller, but many have their own rollers, as each has individual contact locations, and dimensions too.

Some after market rollers were adv. to fit the Ford timer, so there may be some old time timers that would interchange.

Today, best to stick to the reproduction new parts or rotors that come with each of the new timers.

For fun reading, this link is a running list of many aftermarket Model T timers. Hundreds of styles and types of timers were offered in T days.

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/132-Ford-Model-T-Timers-Archieve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Thank you for the link. That was exactly what I wanted to read. Very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Tommy: And the Ford rollers had the Ford TM stamp. jb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration