Just wondering . . . why not a more aggresive thread tire for Model T's?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Just wondering . . . why not a more aggresive thread tire for Model T's?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Reading some old threads on knobby tires for Model T's and I'm looking for something a little aggressive for my WWI military project. But just wondering, if the dirt roads and muddy paths of the early Model T era were the norm, and not the paved roads of a later time, then why the smooth tires or very little grooves.
I'm no enginnr, but I would think a more snow tire type tread design would have been more efficient and practical for the sloppy roads.

JMO. Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Because Ford used the cheapest tires available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

These are 21" firestones; wrong size for WWI vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

I always wondered why the WW 1 ambulances didn't use solid tires. I have read several ambulance driver diaries and I think every one mentions flat tires. The roads were so bad that getting a smooth ride was not an option anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

I have some old tires with a tractor tread. I'm not sure what brand.
Of course I live in Canada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Also consider that tire chains were common

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

I was thinking what Les said. Chains were not just for snow. (or rope for that matter)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:31 am:

I had to dig deep, but here is a photo from Hap Tucker's collection that was posted a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Thank you Herb! I had no idea Knobbies went that far back. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:45 am:

This patent tread was adv. in 1909, supposed to be licensed to the listed mfg. to market. Looks like the one in Hap's photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Hi Dan,

Would you be able to post all of the above ad. It is interesting. Thank you, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:26 am:

You can buy a 21" tire that is used in agriculture as a drive wheel for some type of implement. It has an aggressive tread if off road is what you are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

I've read the threads on motorcycle tires, but can't find one wide enough to make me feel comfortable to even try and mount one for looks only. The wides I can find is 3.40 and the more aggressive the tread, the less is actually on the road for city driving.

I'll look at implement tires. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

I remember dozens of model A Fords that had knobby tires on the rear and ere kept and used for bad weather cars because the high clearance and narrow tires would go through deeper snow than the later cars.
I do not remember seeing model T Fords in the deep snow, there were few, very few, T Fords still being used when I was a kid. although I do remember a few TT Fords with snow tires and being driven in snow and mud.
A TT could go down a muddy road and ruin the surface so a more modern car could no longer use the road. The very narrow front tires of the TT would sink in the mud and leave
the road with two deep ruts that a more modern car could not follow.
My dad always said a T was not good in a long muddy or reap snow dive unless it had an auxiliary trans. He called them hand shift
He said the T motor could not pull the car in high and low was just too slow to go any distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:28 am:

Find an ad for the vacuum cup tires. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Some interesting options. The "normal" Model T 21" tires running around $125 ea plus tubes and flaps. Motorcycle tires, a little narrower, which is not good, around 1/2 that at $60 each and the farm implement tractor type tires at $215 ea. Hmmmmm.....
If this were a daily driver, I'd go the safest route and the heck with the look and tread. But for display only or driving off a trailer or short distance, the cycle tires are looking better and better. Especially if I create some sort of trailer/carriage or machine gun platform and tow it behind the T. 6 tires plus some sort of spare. Could get pricey.

The tires on it now are just for rolling it around the garage. Hold air, mismatched set of 4.00 x 21.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Here's knobby motorcycle tires on 21" TT truck front wheels - in Sudan(!)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/296037.html

truck tire

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration