My crank handle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My crank handle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Over the weekend I bought several things for my '21.One thing was this crank handle.[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/1010161933_zpszrd11udk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/1010161933_zpszrd11udk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Since I don't have the car home yet, don't have the ratchet , or the spring, I don't know if the handle will work for my car. It is about 7.5 inches from the bend to the ends. The handle is metal and has a spring behind it. Does this look like a T crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Yes, I believe that's the correct one for your year T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Yes. Correct style hand crank handle for year of your T.

Just slip it into the crankcase bushing, and then fit on the ratchet and pin, then cotter the pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Forgot to add.

Be sure to fit the coil spring at the end of the crank handle shaft. That spring functions to be sure the crank handle pulls back after the engine starts, sorta like a Bendix spring :-)

Without that coil spring, the ratchet can bump against the crank pulley when the engine is running.

Spring compressed when engaging the ratchet, ready to push the crank handle away from the crank pulley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Sometimes the little hole for the spring is hidden by dirt and/or paint, but it's there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:09 am:

I saw the small hole after cleaning the crank , but thought it was an imperfection in the metal. Thanks all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration