Old Photo - Unique Traveling Wagon 'Checkers'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Unique Traveling Wagon 'Checkers'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Frank Shea (L) of Brooklyn, NY and William Burke of Passaic, NJ at Brockton Fair. They have been driving the unique traveling wagon 'Checkers' coast to coast 6 times and to Mexico and every province in Canada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:29 am:

So I guess they were Big Airplane Game Hunters ?

Freighter JIm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Questions:

1. Why are they both using crutches?

2. How long do you suppose they had to drive to cover that many miles in a TT at an average speed of probably 15 MPH?.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Henry, man on left is missing left leg at the knee and man on right is missing his left foot. IF that is what you meant. Answer to #2, probably quite a long time :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:51 am:

it's from October, 1928. They were both disabled war veterans as can be read here with a second view of their wagon: https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:05742106t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:54 am:

What kind of creature is that on the the guys back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Cute little fellow :-)

crat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Wow. I can't believe I missed seeing that he has a leg missing. The foot is a little harder to see, I missed that too.

Need more coffee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:09 am:

The critter looks like a Coati-Mundi. Says they traveled to Mexico, I reckon that's where they picked him up ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Two proud veterans!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

It was equipped with a Warford which may have helped them to go faster.

application/octet-stream
Warford-sign (74.6 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

To see the above image, save to your computer and add ".jpg" to the file name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

WOW!! Today they would not make it past Chicago with all those guns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

thanks for the tip. Here is the Warford sign on that truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Please forgive me. I mean no malice or disrespect.

How'd they drive that thing? It takes 2 feet to drive a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

I have seen a photo of a Model T with hand levers on the pedals for drivers missing legs.

Here's a Model T outfitted for a driver with no arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

I have been pondering a similar fate... albeit not so drastic. Asni'm just getting the T into driving shapenwith b long overdue band replacement, hogshead rebuild, running lights, etc.... it appears my last bit of driving pushed my left knee over the limit... can barely walk, let alone use the low/high pedal. Likely a torn meniscus. Hopefully can be repaired , and I'll be back in the saddle in the spring???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

I have that same torn area in the knee it affects everything thing you do when working on a car. It was a year before I could get up an down with my knee but it is getting better without the surgery. I would have had it fixed but is almost impossible to get off at my job of 26years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Dang... no fun, Tim.... my be we should look at those hand shifting pictures!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

Dennis, I have had a torn medial meniscus repaired three times, once on the left, twice on the right between '87 and '95. They were all done arthrascopicly (that's as close as I can get without looking it up) and the down time was minimal. I even went to a swap meet with my buddy just a couple of days after the first one, on crutches of course. Haven't had any problems with them since '95. Much better than when they had to open up your knee. :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:59 am:

Good to hear!! I'm sure leg and joint pain is nothing new to the folks on this forum! :-) sorry for the thead-jack! Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 02:26 am:

My grandfather had one leg, drove model T's because he was better able to drive them than a car that used a clutch and sliding gear transmission with foot feed gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 07:42 am:

Could this photo be the answer to the age old mystery of the Chupacabra? That animal looks exactly like a coatimundi, but I'm going with coatimundi. Only a WWI vet could tame one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Don't see why a one legged person couldn't drive a T. Might involve a lot more use of the hand brake lever for neutral but certainly not impossible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:50 am:

It looks like a water cooled Browning machine gun on the roof.Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration