Ok. Mystified as to how to remove the headlamp rim to gain entry to the bulb to replace. Something about turning the rim left or right. Experts? Many thanks!
No user serviceable parts inside!!
OK, if the rim has been off recently, no problem, if it's been there a long time and rust has occurred, Leetle problem!
The only instruction missing on Dan's drawings is that you have to push the rim into the headlamp body about 1/8" of an inch to free up the retaining rivets--those are the bumps on the outside of the rim. Then turn the rim counter-clockwise (Uh Oh, if you only know digital clocks, what's counter-clockwise??) about an inch or so and the rim, with lens should pull straight off--be ready to catch the lens, just in case it's not clipped to the rim, like it's supposed to be as shown in Dan's bottom pic; stuff happens.
Good luck--if it's rusty, you have to break the rust loose, usually going around the seam with a thin small putty knife (a cake knife works great, but don't let the kitchen "help" find out you did that!), until you can push the rim in.
Hope this is helpful.
Sometimes, if you have the headlight off of the car, is is more effective to place the headlight face-down, on a hard flat surface and on a thin sheet of rubber or something to provide friction, and then while pushing down on the headlight, apply force to turn the headlight while the rim remains stationary on the flat friction surface. FWIW,.....harold
By the way,.....to give credit where credit is due,.....got this "tip" from Steve Tomaso of "Steves T Works", an occasional poster on this forum,......and it works!
Many thanks, T-bees. Will give it a go!
I had a devil of a time removing one of my lamp rings while the headlamp assembly was bolted to the car. One of the suggestions posted elsewhere in the forum, was to pull the assembly, and put it face down on a rubber mat. I didn't have one .. but did have a pine table in the basement, with a summer rubber-ized (kinda) table cloth on it. Fuzzy on one side, and cleanable on the other. Once I had it face down on the table, I could apply pretty good downward pressure on all the tab points, and they worked loose. I then just wiggled back and forth. The 'final blow' was a couple gentle but firm ones, from a rawhide mallet, counter-clockwise, on the arm bowl's support arm.
Mine had a sloppy paint job on the rim, where some had gotten on the lens. Make sure that type of stuff is scrapped off, or at least broken loose.
I don't know if it was a good idea or not, but on re-assymblby, I applied a VERY light smearing of thicker grease on all the metal-to-metal surfaces. I also made sure to install new cording between the lens and reflector.
I bought several headlamps at a swap meet and disassembled them. None came apart easily. I sprayed the joint around the rims with Deep Creep and pecked on the rims with a wooden mallet. My son & I were able to get all of them apart without breaking any glass or skinning any knuckles.