TT Storage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT Storage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:17 am:

TT is presently in the garage, very safe and secure from the elements. But, when it gets cold I will need that space for my Fiesta. I need another storage area for her, and there is a chance I will be buying another T sometime in the future.

I do not want TT outside covered with a tarp, I feel that moisture gets trapped inside and that is not good for the wood.

The county says I can put up a 246 sq. ft. shed 12' high without a permit as long as it does not have electric, heating, etc. That is doable, with two doors and room for TT and another small car that has not been purchased yet. There would be no room for working on the vehicles, but that is OK, the shed would be for storage only. I think a closed shed with protection from the elements but no temperature control would be sufficient for TT. Would it be sufficient for a "nice" T (unlike TT which is just an old truck) which I might buy in the future?

But it looks to me like a lot of people who own "nice" T's also have covered trailers to transport them in. One of those trailers would also be excellent for storage wouldn't it? Better than a shed for protecting the car?

Or is there a better solution for my situation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:41 am:

I'd build something bigger. Get a permit and build what you want. You can never have too much space. The permits in Stafford VA were very simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Get the permit, it is just a tax so the county can get some money. You will be glad you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Don't be a cheapskate. Do it right.

Be nice to you. If you don't do it, nobody will. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I have multiple garages and store the three nicest cars in trailers. I have found they keep better in there. I'm in IL and the humidity is very high all year. There is not a lot of room in the trailer for working on them.

That being said why do you not want a permitted garage? I'm considering building a garage next to my house to work on cars in. I'd love to have a place within a few feet of the back door that has AC/heat, lift and enough electrical. None of the current places have all that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:37 am:

It's all a function of money. Just determine how much you can spend then do the best you can within that amount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Enclosed trailers are ok for storage, esp, with a dehumidifier. However the only work you could on the car would be minor and very cramped, You can wax it but you had better be limber. Just remember when you build your garage you will find you need a bigger one :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Thomas,

If funds are not an issue a large tall garage would be best. If you are really strapped for funds and "if" you current garage area is tall enough and long enough you might see if you could remove the TT wheels, build a ramp, and put the Fiesta Partially on the back of the TT. I have a deep garage and I might be able to do that (or not -- I would have to measure). If the garage is really tall you would not need to remove the wheels.

Another limited budget option again, with a long garage is to jack the rear of the TT up and block/build a loft to hold it securely so it will not fall. Park the hood of the Fiesta under it. (Yes, make something to catch the oil drips from the TT rear axle.)

If you go the enclosed trailer, be sure it is tall enough for your current and future Ts.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

This subject comes up from time to time on a few forums.

My opinion - enclosed car hauler trailers were designed & intended for transport and not for storage.

An economical alternative would be a steel shipping container set slightly above grade to allow for drainage.

These are being turned into cheap living spaces:

@ http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/g172/shipping-container-homes-460309 /

Local weather conditions would determine if this was feasible or not.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Talk to the little old ladies and men in your neighborhood and at church and see if any of them have an empty garage they are willing to rent.

My dad, my neighbor and I have rented garages in our neighborhood from little old ladies who quit driving and sold their cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

I have a 28 ft truck box I keep two T's in . Like a uhaul . About 7 inches off ground so short ramps work. County codes will vary but I paid about $1000 for mine and I bought a 16 ft for my wife ( happy birthday ) Keeps all her dog training stuff out of my garage. I live in the country and don't care what the neighbors say. Plenty of room to get all the way around cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Thank you for all the good advice.

I have an excellent place to work on TT. All I have to do is back the Fiesta out of the garage. And if TT has to be in there for a week for repairs that is not a problem.

What I need is a storage area, not a work area.

I will take these ideas, figure out what is best for me, and run it all by the Boss Lady.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 01:11 am:

you might look at a Tuff shed, I had one done for my T. 2 stories with barn doors. Has worked well, was up in 1 day

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration