Found nut and lock washer in head and block water jacket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Found nut and lock washer in head and block water jacket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

I removed the head this morning, there was a rattle and a 3/8 nut fell out, looked down the block water jacket and saw a lock washer sitting at the bottom of the front opening of the water jacket.
If it was just the washer or nut I would say it was dropped in but both nut and washer makes me think it came off something.

Could the nut be from the starter but how could it go from the engine it to the coolant?

This is not the first time I have had the head off also noticed some coolant in the holes of the rear head bolt threads.

headhead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Water sitting in three head bolt holes

water

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

I have had similar mysteries. I determined it was the work of small home sapiens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

I wonder for how long the guy who lost the fasteners searched for them until he gave up and sourced another nut and washer? :-)

I really really don't think they were lost while the engine was running.

And about the coolant in the bolt holes - maybe there were some remains in the head that poured out into the holes as the head was lifted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

That's Homo Sapiens. Little kids about the place. Head gasket leaking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

The thing that got me is I could see dropping a nut, no pun intended, into the engine or dropping a washer into the engine but I found both at the same time.

I know it was not me and if someone did drop both I hope that person is not a surgeon leaving sponges and more in patients

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Peter,

"... I hope that person is not a surgeon leaving sponges and more in patients"

Or more nuts for that matter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

You need to replace the valves. They are original "take apart" style. They take themselves apart unexpectedly and can ruin the block in the process.

As for the water in the head bolt holes, put a dab of your favorite gasket goo on the threads before installing the bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Peter,

Royce is correct about the valves.

You most likely have coolant in those holes because your head gasket leaked. Nothing to worry about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

I lost my dad's good shovel. Is it in there too?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration