Another "what is it" stumper for you is up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another "what is it" stumper for you is up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

What is it #7 is up (no video this time, just pics). Still no guesses on #6 either!

http://tfoye.com/whatsit.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Horn for Harley or Indian Motorcycle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Look-Mini-Horn-for-Harley-Chopper-6-volt-/141953 407540?hash=item210d151a34

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-war-EA-Motorcycle-Horn-/172349845527?hash=item2820d9 f017

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-EA-Micro-Laboratories-Brass-Era-Pancake-Horn-1919- Harley-Indian-Henderson-/321234292378?hash=item4acb0e4e9a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

What about #6.. ? Any guesses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

I thought "wizard" was the brand name - didn't they make a bicycle or motorcycle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

I think that you are thinking of the Whizzer motorized bicycle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

the horn is a replacement for old cars, sold buy western auto and others.you will see the bracket for mod a ford.buy putting a drifenet bracket on it and an indian cover it can be a 41 to 45 indian. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

As I recall, "Wizard" was a trademark/name for products sold by Western Auto. I have seen them in a couple old photos posted here. Does anyone know just how far back or how old the company was or is? I'm not even sure they still exist?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

They do exist. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

So no one has a guess on what the black tube thing is? I thought someone would get it by now! The only comment I have gotten is "speak up, I could not hear you".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Looks like some sort of venturi / pitot-tube. No idea what the application is though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

The horn is on a Model A horn mounting bracket. And from it's size bet it was after market for the same:-)

The black thing is a home made Ram Jet missing some parts and a spark plug to fire it. Maybe. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

I'm with Michael S. on #6 - some inventor's idea to get more oomph from his little 20hp Ford by adding more gas vapor to the intake - prior to the regular carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

the horn looks british to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Keep guessing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Venturi pipe to be installed in the carburetor inlet to pressurize the fuel tank. Eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Duck call? :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

I am very surprised that no one has guessed this yet. Awesome guesses though - no it's not a "ram jet". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

horn made right here in the u.s.a. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

The horn is the "pancake style" horn. With it being labeled with the "Wizard" trademark it is from Western Auto Supply Co. I have several old Western Auto catalogs and that style (but not exact) shows up in the 1930-31 catalog. It is not in the 1929 catalog. It is also advertised as "The New Super Handsome Genuine Klaxon "Micro". So that may be the aprox time the pancake style horns came out. The first picture of a "Wizard Micro" that I have in my catalogs is from a 1936 catalog. So it is probably sometime between 1930-31 and 1936 that the "Wizard Micro trade name was used. The basic pancake horn was made by a horn manufacture (I believe Ames horn Co." but not for sure. Then they made the cover and mounting bracket for whoever wanted a horn. Harley, Indian, Western Auto (Wizard), Montgomery Ward (Trailblazer" just to name a few. They also had different covers with different designs that could be added. Most appear to be "art deco" in style Ill post some pics of my Harley, Western Auto, Ames, and Montgomery Wards horns. The covers would interchange between all the horns if a person wanted to. They look different sizes in some of the photos, but they are all the same size. Western Auto started life as a company to supply accessory and replacement parts for Model T Fords and general auto accessories that could be used on all makes. My 1934 catalog states that they have been in business for 25 years. So that makes them start out about 1909. They are still in business but it is getting harder to find a store these days.
The few Western Auto catalogs I have.

1930-31 catalog
30-31

1936 catalog

Harley and two Wizard Micros (front and rear)
front

rear

Ames and painted Wizard Micro
ames

Montgomery Ward "Trailblazer"
mw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Mounts on the tie rod... Too funny. I will call off my search for a "Wizard" automobile to mount this on! Awesome information, thanks Donnie!

And no - #6 is not a "duck call" - keep trying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Donnie that horn is not Harley i know what i am talking about as you can see by my e-mail handle. i could enlighten you all but that would not be in my best interest. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration