These push rods are not dished they are cupped

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: These push rods are not dished they are cupped
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

I'm the guy that thought I could replace the valves as is without cutting the seats

I WAS WRONG!!!!!!

After doing some exploratory I found

The push rods are dished, the valves are worn, the pistons are loose in the bore and cylinders are out of round about 0.003 to 0.004. I have no idea how the bottom end is but considering the condition of the top it canít be good.

Push rods look like they were machined that way

I'm going to put it back together until I can afford to have it bored out and rebuilt. It ran before it will run again
But it proves that checking the compression is not enough. I had an average of 48 psi and a steady vacuum.

push

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Peter
The lifters wore that way!!
Just add new lifters (maybe adjustable ) to the eventual rebuild shopping list!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

I would like to say they were NOT made that way but looking at the outer edge looks like someone in the past may have done some work on them instead of grinding the valve stem to fit.
The should be flat across the top, no dish.
As it is the only way to adjust your valves is by piston travel method. Look it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Put reconditioning the camshaft on your to do list. Timing valves by measuring piston travel is best given the wear shown. Often a motor won't even run when valves are set to tappet clearance with a camshaft worn out of the correct profile.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration