Anyone have a copper head gasket?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anyone have a copper head gasket?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I would like to install a z head and all of the usual suspects are back ordered for the gasket. Does anyone have a spare copper gasket they could sell me?

Thanks,
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Give Dave a call at Chaffin's (951) 805-0928

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

While on the topic of gaskets, we had a model A and once we found out the part number our local auto parts store could order it brand new. I believe the Model A was 9013C if memory serves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Oops! I meant (951) 735-4791

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Make sure to have spotlessly clean surfaces on the head and block. clean out the head bolt holes good and I always use a little anti seize compound on the threads. Put the head on first without the gasket and crank the engine by hand a couple times to check for clearance. Put a couple coats of Copper coat on the gasket, and re-torque cold about four to five times after running. I think i had to re-torque 5 times cold to get it right. No problems since then at all. You're gonna love the performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Just one other precaution to Kevin's list. Wind the crank handle until two of the pistons are at the top of the stroke. Then fit the gasket and head. That way you will have no problems with the gasket being mis-aligned and being hit by the pistons.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Call Casey at Miller's in Ohio.
513-738-7353

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

I bought mine from Bob's n Rockford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Who are the "usual suspects" that you have checked with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Dave
I'm putting together a list for a run of "solid copper shim" head gaskets. These are exact copies of the ones that Kevin Pharis did a few years back. They will be CNC water jet cut from .040" soft copper sheet. I'll probably make a few OHV and perhaps some F head versions.
The flathead versions are especially designed for guys who want to run bigger valves. I'm not sure if this suits you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

Les - please add me to receive one of your f head gaskets - thanks !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Steve
Do you have one that you could trace the combustion chamber shape from. If you could do that on squared paper (graph paper), then you could photograph and email it to me for comparison for chamber shape

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Les- any idea what the costs might be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Chad
Looks like about $60.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Dave, try Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane,WA.They make the ones with the black core.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Les, please elaborate on your head gaskets - are they to raise compression (instead of the standard thick ones) or lower it for clearance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Tim
No net effect on compression. What they allow is you is to effectively install bigger valves because you can grind head material away around the valves. I hope this is clear

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration