Old Photo - Depression Era - Camp Marks Encampment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Depression Era - Camp Marks Encampment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

Will Roger once said that the United States was the only country in the world where people went to the poor house driving an automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

I just read that one of the few American-Made motion pictures that was shown in the post-war Soviet Union was "The Grapes of Wrath" because it showed the plight of the people under Capitalism.

They eventually pulled it because moviegoers were noticing that, apparently, even poor people in the United States could afford a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Looks like Hershey...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Hmm, Not a pot a john anywhere, Guess you may have to watch where you step

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

In a new 2017 or 2018 version of this picture, under President Hillary's new climate change laws, there will be no cars, they are now outlawed, only bicycles allowed. The Soviet Union will be so happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen banks on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Even though the country was in dire straights, people still had pride in her. I count at least two American flags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Allen, I see four American flags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Allen,

I see 6 American flags.
1- right side of the photo, center by the car
1- draped over the tent by the bonds sign
1- on a pole just past the bonds sign
2- on poles at the top of the photo just beneath the 9:28 posting time
1- to the far right of the photo below the punched hole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I guess that is a Bonus sign not bonds sign.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

John, I am not saying the other choice is better, just not as corrupt. It's your choice, or should I say their is no good choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

One choice is a roll of the dice. The other a sure bet of status quo corruption of the highest order ....

Take your pick. :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Does the "Bonus" sign refer to the "Bonus Army" of WWI vets who demanded, in 1932, early payment of a post war bonus. FYI, your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

The choices are limited but Hillary is a ridiculous person and very fake. It seems it would be part 2 of the rapid decline of our great nation if Hillary is running the SHOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

Jack has nailed this one. The photo is of Camp Marks in the summer of 1932 in Washington DC. It is a photo that is in the National Archives. The vets eventually received the bonus in 1936 and Roosevelt authorized that 25,000 places in the Civilian Conservation Corps would be for WWI veterans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:24 am:

More information on the Bonus Army: http://www.authentichistory.com/1930-1939/1-hoover/2-bonusarmy/

When the Army destroyed the camps and ran the veterans off was not a proud day for the country. They finally received some part of the promised bonus under President F. D. Roosevelt.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration