Sacrilege? DOHC conversion I suggest purists don't look

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sacrilege? DOHC conversion I suggest purists don't look
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 09:56 am:

I still have a plate I got from Neal (unmachined piece he gave me years ago) and have thought about what to do with it as the only option is using it as an adapter for something non T. There is a GM engine produced in the late 80's early 90's that used a dohc setup that is known for resembling an earlier style. There are freeze plugs in the top that could be run as water outlets and valve covers that could be changed as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Do anything you want,just let your checkbook be your guide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Interesting idea, is the bore spacing close enough for it to work? Will you be able to get much compression with the thickness of the plate and the head both adding size to the combustion-chamber?

I know the quad-4s had a bad reputation for head gasket problems, but they are gaining popularity now due to their resemblance to the Offy engines, and better bolts or studs solved the head gasket problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:25 am:

The problem generally is the big space between cylinders 2 and 3 on the T. This doesn't occur on any modern engine I've ever seen (they are always close together like 1&2 and 3&4 on the T)
Maybe you've found the exception. Best of luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:47 am:

No exception here but if the adapter is milled the water can be transmitted from between 1&2 to the pickups for the other head. As far as the offset goes there is a bit of an offset making the chevy head work (this is another reason for the plate) so that the pushrods will line up. Instead of the offset being to a side the offset goes toward the center. The Quad is a smaller engine than the T so the combustion chambers are smaller. The hemi space does take up some space unlike the chevy being flat. With HC T pistons Im guessing depending on plate thickness you could achieve anything from 4:1 to 8:1. Running overhead cam eliminates the biggest headache which is lining up pushrods and rockers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:47 am:

It's not a sacrilege. It's just two things. 1. Everything from the crankshaft back to the wheels and brakes was made for 20 HP. 2. You can buy other vehicles which were made to go much faster than a T. So why install something on a T which will cause so many problems?

It's your car and if it makes you proud, by all means do it.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration