Question About Selling Items in the Classified Section

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question About Selling Items in the Classified Section
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:03 am:

To those who sell on this site's classifieds, what form of payment do you usually accept? PayPal? "Check in the mail"? or ??

How does one receive money from an individual using PayPal? I only use it to pay for eBay purchases.

Will be parting out several 1909, 2 pedal Model T's soon and need to sell the parts. (KIDDING!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:08 am:

You can use the same Paypal account to receive money, you can generate an invoice in Paypal and email it to your buyer. Paypal takes a percentage of the sale price if you are exchanging goods and services, but no fee if you are "sending money to friends". However, there may be seller and buyer protection that you are not afforded if you go the free route (I still need to look in to this).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Hello Jerry I use PayPal to receive and to pay all the time when you are receiving money you want to make sure that you tell them to use family and friends or you will be docked part of your money When I sell stuff some people use PayPal some people like to send checks I even do debit cards

Thanks again Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:30 am:

What Michael said. Plus if you send the invoice to the buyer, you can generate the shipping label thru pay-pal along with tracking. Pay-pal will update the buyer with the tracking information etc. You also might get a small % off the shipping cost by doing the postage thru Pay-pal. When you open Pay-pal there will be a drop down in the header that shows send invoice. While the 3%(I would have to check that number for sure) can be a bit it really does make the billing quick along with getting the payment. I think you can send an invoice even if they don't have a PP account but not sure on that bit.
If you just have them send the money (as a gift), you have to do all the label and tracking by hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Large amount such as car sale, have them wire your bank---15 minute deal--- before car is shipped and title is transferred. Small items P O money order or check but wait one week till it clears. But if in person CASH makes friends--Credit makes enemies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

As a seller here on the Model t web site, I preferred a check or money order. I don't like that Pay Pal takes a small cut for the transaction. I have trusted all the customers that buy the model t parts and have not been disappointed in any of the people that I have sold too. I think that the people that are on this web site are the best. Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Thanks guys! Very helpful, as always!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Although I rarely advertise stuff for sale anymore, I always requested PayPal. With PayPal you know almost immediately if the buyer is a real buyer.
I discovered that on this and other forums, someone will say "I will take it and the check is in the mail" and then never follow up with payment. This is unfair to the seller as well as other people who may need the item.
For that reason, I insist on PayPal unless it is someone I know or have done business with before. In terms of the PayPal fees, just add it onto your selling price. It is only a small percent and should not affect the buyer's decision one way or the other. For complete cars, you should get a wire transfer.
Of course, the best option is cash in person, that way you don't have to pack and ship this items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

I usually put a check or dead presidents in the mail. It well insulated with several pieced of paper with my address on it. The dead presidents get the part moving a little faster. Then in a week later the part shows up on the front porch. I know I leave my self up for possible issues, but the guys on this forum are first rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

I state " Check, money order or Paypal" in my correspondence.
Paypal is fast and safe but a lot of guys are using checks. I leave the money order in there as I suspect more than a few buyers are using their " mad money" that they keep in a tin can in the garage. Not wanting the significant other to know about a purchase ( or at least the amount), they buy a postal or other money order.
I try to discourage dead presidents ( or Ben Franklins) in the mail. Have not had trouble with it but do not want to go there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

-Jerry, Tom, Steve, Layden-
Having sold many parts going to places all over the country, I've never been disappointed with the people I've sold to. Gauge their inquiry. Ask for their phone so you may call them, (or vice versa.) I won't deal with someone being evasive or shifty, and you'll soon identify the degree you may trust them. I've sent some parts without the check-in-my-hand, then calling them with the total including the 'best-way shipping' costs. Have never had a problem receiving their personal check, even gained some personal friends along the way. Always exercise discretion and common sense, certainly on bigger ticket items. Most of the guys here are on the "Up & Up!" (They'll even 'blow the whistle' on the shady ones...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

PayPal and shipping labels:

You can generate shipping labels via PayPal on the "Ship Now" page and pay discounted USPS postage, UPS or Fedex rates WITHOUT having to create an invoice and paying a 3% commission on the sale for the item being sold.

Many folks don't know about this because the link is hard to find. Below is the sign in page for Paypal Ship Now. I use it whenever I ship via the USPS or UPS.

https://www.paypal.com/signin/?returnUri=https%3a//www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr &state=%3fcmd%3d_ship-now

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration