Magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

could someone tell me how many votes should the magneto put out and also would it be Ac or DC votes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Dead votes from Chicago, maybe? :-)

Sorry, I understand it's volts you're after - and it varies depending on the rpm of the engine. To test it properly you need a load on the magneto too, something that takes about as much power as the coils.
A 1156 bulb is a good test load - just connect it to the magneto post with the engine running on "bat" and it should glow at idle and be very bright at higher rpms - might even blow if both the engine and the magneto is hot.

To test the voltage you'll need an analog voltmeter and measure over the bulbs both contacts at different rpms, but if you get a bright light it's probably OK and should work on "mag" if the rest of the components in the ignition system are OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

thanks Roger sorry about the spelling I guess I was thinking about the upcoming election..lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

The Model T "Magneto" is actually a permanent magnet variable frequency / variable voltage AC Generator. It will produce between about 4 volts - 28 volts AC if in excellent condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Just adding to Royce's post- 4vAC at idle, the more rpms the higher the voltage and max @ 28vAC at higher rpms.
(Although my gauges show a max of 30vAC)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Its another way the Model T was ahead of its time. The magneto is really an unregulated alternator. And, one you can use even if your battery is dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 08:31 am:

The Model T ignition system is a marvel of robust, reliable design. It is what made the Model T head and shoulders more dependable than all the other brands of cars sold at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 11:43 am:

If your magneto is putting out votes Donald was correct. The election is rigged!

You should get around 6 volts at idle and close to 30 volts at high speed. If it produces too low at idle, you might find your engine runs on mag at speed but will not idle. Use an analog AC volt meter. Run the engine on battery and use a 12 volt light bulb from magneto post to ground. The light should light dimly at idle and might burn out at high speed. Do the voltage test between mag post to ground across the light bulb.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration