Nasty Storm!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Nasty Storm!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Last night we were out to diner when the lights went out.
Managed to get back to our van in the dark with strong gusts of wind and rain. The four mile trip home lower cars were pushing my 30mph until they passed and dealt with tree limbs and debris on the road.
As we got home the lights went on, the house was smoky from the wood stove chimney drafting down.
Stay safe! Area folks come down from inland this is not the time!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 09:13 am:

I used to heat with wood years ago, I had a large wood furnace. It always seemed to be late fall and early spring that I had to deal with down drafts. Its seemed to take forever to get the chimney heated up enough to get the draft going the right way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 09:28 am:

My corn burner only has a 3" stainless exhaust with forced draft. This year is our 10'th season heating with corn.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Fortunately I have forced air gas furnace but unless you have power its hard to hook up with a generator. Power company's don't like you back feeding with out the proper set up.
Chimney caps set up for wind are several hundred Looks like that's the way to go with power off several times during the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 09:37 am:

We have our 7,000 surge 6500 continous Honda powered gen in the shop and back feed 220 through the welding plug in the barn.Out in the country you can only count on yourself and by the coast you must get bad storm's? Good luck/bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 09:50 am:

This morning we are starting to get hammered here in north Idaho. They are predicting high winds. and heavy rain here in the mountains. Just another day in paradise!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:46 am:

The Oregon coast had wind gusts around 100mph yesterday in places. We will be getting the remains of the tropical storm that swung past Hawaii and headed east towards the US. They were saying Mt Hood would be getting snow over the 7000 foot level but the passes would be just wet. :-) The trees are just dropping their leafs so good chance to have a few more down which means more power outage's. There were already a good number last night. Nothing like in the South-East.

Paul;
Glad you made it home ok.

I have an older Koller generator but the tank is bone dry and not hooked up and nor is the exhaust. Guess if the power goes out I'll be not so warm because the gas heater will not have power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 11:20 am:

It's cooled off a bit here. Went to dinner last night and actually had to wear an undershirt under my short sleeved shirt. Still no need for a jacket. Slept with window open but one blanket. During the day it has been high 70's or low 80's. Much cooler than last month. We didn't even use the air conditioner yesterday! Maybe next month or December we might even get some rain?

One October we went on a visit to Tacoma WA and I commented on how cold and rainy it was. They said in Sequim it they had less rain. So we went over to Sequim and found it was only drizzling. They were right.

Anyway, I like our weather better and so far the well has not gone dry! So we have water.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

The problem with back feeding is it turns to high voltage for someone fixing wires if they do not know it.
I can do it and have done it if the power has been off to long-------but would have a tough time living with my self if I hurt some one.
On commercial meters you can not shut the back feed down by removing the meter. A good quality designed for wind chimney cap solves 90 percent of power loss issues for my area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

I back feed thru my welder outlet, but before I do I trip the main breaker in my electrical box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

A few years ago the wife and i were eating lunch and a young kid lost control and after driving off the road through the yard took out the power pole! I set the gen to work and called the power company.The next day before they started i asked them about running the generator while they were working?? They told me they were ok with it so the gen ran till they were done.All i ever do is turn off the main?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

A Honda 3000 on eco throttle gets me through 4 days of Hershey every year. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Years past while repairing a fire under the breaker box in a commercial plumbing shop I got showered with sparks standing in water removing framing for a new panel. A plumber said he would fix that and removed the meter. I bumped the loose box it hit a copper ground and I got showered again-----lesson learned without personal damage! Seen to many rattle trap wiring jobs without a main breaker after fifty years in disaster restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Raining hard now its predicted high winds from noon on. A very rare tornado hit thirty miles south in a town I have built homes in. Yesterday batteries were just about sold out D size. This storm started in one hour, many including myself were not prepared for its force.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 10:13 am:

It is a given that if you don't have a generator, at some point you will wish you had one. Also true is the fact that when you go out and buy one after doing without it, you will seldom need it. We had a big storm up here a few years ago that the weather folks called a category 2 ground hurricane.
It was a mess with trees and power lines down all over the place. The area was paralyzed for a couple good days. Fortunately I had a generator that got lots of use by myself and neighbors on a rotating basis. After experiencing that, almost everyone went out and bought generators. Predictably, we haven't needed them since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Mostly rain in the lower Puget Sound. During the late 1990s we had an ice storm that left us without power for several days. Trees were snapping from Tacoma to Spokane. I didn't have a generator at the time, but wish I had. Then, in 1999, with the looming Y2K, we bought one and have used it almost every year since. We get at least one big wind storm with rain per year, which softens the ground and causes the trees to topple over, especially the alder. We were the first on our block to buy one and now I think everyone owns one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

It took me a long time to finally buy a generator for emergency use. I bought a 4500 kw that is dual fuel. The beauty of this is that if I don't run gasoline into it but use only propane, I don't have to worry about starting and or start it every couple of weeks. It runs all I need if I turn off all the 220 breakers. I have heat with gas logs and a blower, my hot water is propane, my stove is propane and my water is community. No problem for an extended outage as I hookup to my 500 gal propane tank. If anyone is considering a generator, GOOGLE dual fuel generators and you will see many options for purchase and free delivery. I paid something like $450. for mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

I'm sitting here on Whidbey facing west with The Sound right in my front yard. Here on the island, power goes out if someone just sneezes a little too hard. Hasn't happened yet. If/when it does I've got a propane fireplace and Cajun turkey deep fryer for cookin'. Haven't bitten the bullet on a generator "yet". Yesterday's high wind shows 47mph on my weather station AND 1.37 inches precipitation. Not all that bad. This afternoon/evening could be a different story. Everyone stay safe out there.

Short vid from yesterday:
https://db.tt/WyOXu9qO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

I looked on the map and saw that you live right on the coast. Today I heard on the TV that tornados had hit the Oregon coast. Hope you and your family are alright.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

I re-cleaned out the gutters, sharpened my chainsaw, built a fire in the woodstove, made sure my generator works, and am hunkered down watching some Beaver football.

Bring on the storm!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Winds blowing all different directions 40-50 mph with some gusts more. Never seen the different wind directions usually wind is from the south west. Mailed Bob Frink across the Columbia he is OK on the side of a hill in the middle of the storm. Think I will mail Michael Seager I hear Vernoia is flooding at low levels. Hope his planes and family are OK. My daughter from Lakeport California is coming next week---told her to call first----the river the last few miles into Seaside might well be flowing fast moveing water over the road. Might have to use a generator but so far so good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Unless you have a good reason to come to the coast I would stay safe and watch football or work on your T.
Not much wind now but the run off and soaked tree roots will be coming down doing damage to bridges and very possible fast water over roads.
You might find your self trapped in your car for hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

Paul Hope everything is ok and you didn't have much damage. I like that about the lower cars passing you then dealing with fallen trees and debris. When Matthew went through here a friend down the road had a tree fall across his driveway and the road so I drove down and when I stopped someone was yelling at me in Sailor for stopping. That is until I got the chainsaw out of the back...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Well, I live between Sumner and Puyallup, about 7 or 8 miles east of Tacoma. Lots of rain, and pretty breezy, but really no real "storm" to speak of. Dug out our rather sophisticated kerosene heater early yesterday, took it all apart, cleaned and adjusted everything, new batteries in the electric "igniter", filled the kerosene tank, fired it up and let it run a bit,....all set to go when we need it,.....which,.....fortunately,......we didn't! And that's just fine with me! Because most of the trees still have most of their leaves, high winds would have toppled many trees. We USUALLY have our worst wind storms in November, so I guess it's good that I now know that the kerosene heater is all ready to go when we really do have a storm & power outage.

I sometimes think I should have been a weatherman. When I made a mistake when I was still working, I usually got "called in on the carpet" so to speak. When the weatherman makes a mistake, oh well,.....no big deal, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Thanks for the concern G.R. and others! We are well set up for winter wind but this storm is dropping buckets of water the weather report calls showers.
As Harold said this storm is early and with lots of water coming down.
We can light the stove top without power, I have another gas range in the shop so not much to worry about other then some five foot diameter hundred foot spruce trees next to my shop and home. They have strong roots and are used to wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Harold: I agree. This is something I've been saying for years. It's the only job where you're paid to be wrong most of the time. About the only good ones are in Southern California, and that's because they just look at the satellite image which 90% of the time shows nothing and say "It will be clear and sunny"! The other plus is they're usually weather GIRLS ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

We have a problem here in the Pacific Northwest that causes some very real and justified "concern" when we have a lot of rain early in the Fall like what we are getting now!

We have a lot of Douglas Fir trees, some of which grow naturally in large stands of many trees close together and some of which grow very large. When they grow in large "stands" or groves, close together, they crowd each other in such a way that most of their limbs are very high up at and near the top. And because they grow close together, to some degree, they tend to "protect" each other during high wind storms and such. Another key problem with Douglas Firs is that no matter how large they get (and some have trunks with a girth approaching the diameter of a 55 gal. oil drum) but they do not have a "tap-root" that goes down deep. They only have roots that tend to spread out radially just a foot or two beneath the surface of the ground.

So here's the most serious problem with all this,.....as property is developed, and some trees are cut down to make room for new houses and such, the remaining trees are left without the protection of those that were removed, and when we get a lot of rain that saturates the top couple feet of earth where all of the Douglas Fir's roots are, those trees that were formerly protected by the trees that have been removed cannot take much wind and sometimes end up crashing thru' the middle of somebody's house! We see this on the 10:00 o'clock news after just about every storm, especially in the Fall when we've had a lot of rain.

Well, enough of this,....I've probably just given "Burger" some more reason to expound upon why he chose to leave the Puget Sound area and opt for "the sunny side" of the mountains here in Washington! Not much danger from "falling sagebrush" during rain & wind around Spokane!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

We share the concern (and yes, it's justified) of trees falling on our homes and vehicles here on Whidbey. We personally have the added concern that comes with living 30 feet from a 100 foot high bluff face that goes down to Admiralty Inlet. Five or six years ago a storm toppled an 85 footer over the edge and it peeled a 10 x 50 foot piece of our yard to the beach below with it. This was partially, as Harlod says, due to over-clearing by the original owner. While it's still ours and it is beachfront, it's not of much use to us any more :-) Ahhh, the price to pay for being able to catch salmon in your front yard...

In the end, every sector has its dealings with nature to contend with. Some come with warnings, others not. Hopefully, everyone made it through this bout relatively unscathed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

I built a home where the tornado was in Oregon, The owner a retired school teacher bought the lot at a DEAL the back of the home had a 45 degree drop off for a hundred feet down and was on filled sand under the foundation. I argued with the engineer in charge. He said just put your footings deeper Who am I to argue with an engineer? You can not compact sand--------wonder if its still there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

And to clarify, it's only the 500 square feet of yard at the bottom of the bluff that's of no use to us anymore. The home is sound and secure. We are currently looking at some bluff management options. Pretty pricey but better than ending up with a houseboat!

On the upside...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Needs a garage for a couple of Ts though...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration