Dog ate my fan belt. Plus a question about an new/old belt.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Dog ate my fan belt. Plus a question about an new/old belt.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

The foolishness.
One of the neighbor dogs took it upon himself to take away and probably eat the leather fan belt that was drip drying out on my leaves.
I had soaked a stiff old leather belt in neatís-foot oil for a few days and was making ready to use said belt and yesterday I noticed it was gone. I donít like the smell of 50 year old Chemline Neatís-Foot Oil so it was outside on the ground, right outside the shed. Gone.
Dopey me, today I checked what the oil is and find its leg and hoof parts of cows. No wonder the hungry dog wanted it. Ugh (Duane just shakes his head). The chickens and now the damned fan belt.
Why not, the full moon is out...
Another of many lessons learned.

The question.
OK, a 35? year old Gates 828 Vulco rubber/canvas belt that had been on my Ď18 is as stiff as a wedding pr..k and will never go around the pulleys.
Is there anything I can do to this beautiful old (brand new) belt to soften it so it can be used again? I have another new fan belt that is the same... A Dayton Maxim-Aire F-30. With its little ďNew" wrapper.
Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:23 am:

Wall hanger,get one from Russ Firstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Check the dogs collar, maybe he is wearing it .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:08 am:

This definitely trumps "he ate my homework"!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 10:49 am:

I understand dog skin coats are very warm and soft, especially when treated with neatís-foot oil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Better hide your pants belts and wallet in case he develops a taste for hide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Heard about this a while ago, don't know if it works but probably worth a try: http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13477

Also you might try a Google search for softening old rubber

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

There is a gallon metal can in the basement of
Ruglyde .I remember using it to lubricate rubber and from what I remember it helps soften it to.
http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/part_detail.jsp?PART_HDR_ID=87099

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGS-RG-18-GAL-RUGLYDE-LUBRICANT-/231681344383?hash=item3 5f148c37f:g:jqEAAOSwgNRV7z91&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 04:09 am:

i have heard brake fluid works but haven't used it much myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Hmmmm, much to think about!
Maybe a cure in here for "stiff fan belt syndrome"!
OR
Hang it on a nail outside the shed/beyond the dog's reach whilst drip/drying the old leather belt, Duane...
Thanks Guys! I'm gonna try some of these things...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration