OT can I use JB Weld to repair exhaust manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT can I use JB Weld to repair exhaust manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

My 1955 Plymouth has a hole/crack in the exhaust manifold. Can I use JB Weld to repair, or will the heat of the manifold be too much for JB Weld?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

It will be way too much heat for the JB Weld, but there are other special glues that will do the job. One I got from Advanced Auto, and it is meant for just such an application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I don't think regular JB Weld would be a good choice.

JB Weld High Heat or JB Weld Extreme Heat might be good for the job.

http://www.jbweld.com/products/highheat-epoxy-putty

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/JBW0/37901/N2548.oap?ck=Search_N2548_-1 _-1&pt=N2548&ppt=C2392

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

The exhaust manifold will easily hit 1200F and higher. Base your selection of "glue" on it reaching 1800F.

The JB Weld Extreme may hold up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

There are high heat ceramic-filled epoxies available from McMaster-Carr, that withstand temperatures in excess of 2,000 degrees F. Go to www.mcmaster.com and type "ceramic epoxy" in the search box in the upper left hand corner. The adhesive for cast iron, stainless steel and steel comes in 2 sizes. 8 oz. for $55.89 and 16 oz. for $104.89. It is a one part pyro-putty. Good luck. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration