Carb ID

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb ID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Can anyone tell me how to identify which carburetor I have? I'll need to rebuild it and before I order parts, I need to know what I'm ordering parts for. I believe I have either a Kingston or a Holly NH. From what I have seen in the Model T FordOwner book and a Lang catalog I'm leaning toward the Holly. Any advice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

Yes, post a picture of it here. Be aware that there is a file size limit of 250K per picture. If your picture file size is too large, you can use Paint or another program of your choice to shrink it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Looks like a '21-'25 Holley NH with an interesting mixture adjustment swivel attached to it. A closer photo of the carb would ensure proper ID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Its an improved model car judging by the hood louvers and the fan bracket. The 26-27 cars had the swivel as did some late 25 models. Its an NH carb.

Why do you think you need to rebuild it?

If the car runs well and it doesn't leak then maybe you shouldn't argue with success.

On the other hand rebuilding it is not rocket science.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Yes, it looks like a '21-'25 carb adapted to work in a newer car. The mixture needle and jam nut don't look like the '26/'27 style.

It's probably a moot point, since the carb body and bowl could be rebuilt using the kit for either year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Eric, will see if I can get a closer picture of the carb tomorrow. Ted, the reason I think I need to rebuild it is the car has been used as a storage shelf for at least 10 years on my parents estate. The carb and sediment bowl were both plugged until today. Cleaned carb out to get gas into bowl and got the timing straight today. Car fired, but only ran a few seconds. In that few seconds I had a puddle of fuel directly under the carb. I think it came out of the carb's intake, but I'm not sure. Statically the carb doesn't appear to leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

A big advantage of the NH is that all the parts are available, though a couple of them may need some help from you to work properly. As the saying goes, it ain't rocket surgery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Been doing a lot of reading on it and today ordered the carburetor book from the MTFCA. I would like to order a rebuild kit for it before pulling it off the car, therefore need to know for sure what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:50 am:

It is a Holley NH.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration