Procedure for stopping a model t

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Procedure for stopping a model t
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Took the t out on the street, much better than last time, it was a carb float issue I think it was flooding when I hit a bump. Ran it with the foot clutch then put down the hand brake into high could not believe how much quieter it was.

My question is what is the procedure when coming to a stop when in high?
Do you pull the handbrake to neutral?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

I slow down with throttle well in advance then lever to neutral position . I'm new to T's but that's how I do it. Key words well in advance. I never rush up on a stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

I just hold the clutch unless I am going to be stopped for a while. If you're new at driving T's it may be helpful to use the lever just to be sure you don't push the pedal too far into low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Read the owners manual:

http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

You should be able to drive without relying on the brake lever to put the clutch in neutral. Just use your feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

In the beginning I pressed on the low pedal and pulled the handbrake back to maintain neutral, but I got over it and just use the low pedal.

I should mention that my dad taught me to drive the T 55 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

I agree with Derek, use the brake lever until you become comfortable to where neutral is on the clutch pedal. Its especially helpful when you have immovable object in you path, like driving into the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

Close the throttle to slow the car down a much as possible then press the pedal half way forward into neutral and press the brake. There is no need to pull the brake lever back unless you want to use the hand brake to slow down. When you reverse or are driving in an area where you don't want to shift into high like in a busy parking lot or into the garage leave the lever in the neutral position.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

I prefer to use the handbrake to help the foot brake. It's a lot easier to replace rear brake linings than transmission band linings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Well the most extreme I had for needing brakes was decending old priest grade coming out of Yosemite. It was a matter of coming to almost a complete stop then allowing the car to move and slowing it to a stop again. When we went up you could smell almost every single cars brakes that were decending. The method was (no rocky mountain, warford tranny, 4:1 diff) leaving the ignition off (in underdrive) to allow the car to roll as the speed increasedI would alternate between reverse, low, and brake pedals allowing oil to keep the bands lubricated to bring the car back to almost a complete stop before starting again. Going up was easy in underdrive with the 4:1 gearing. That has almost been my most extreme braking in a model T.

As for general driving find yourself a parking lot and just try to keep the car from moving by pusing Only the lowband pedal in. In no time at all you will get a feel as to where "neutral" is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:14 am:

The car should be left in gear until nearly at a stop. Using the hand brake will put the car in neutral and all the stopping will be done by the brakes. This will wear out the brakes faster than using compression to stop. Of course, I live in the mountains so I also use low range to stop going downhill. If you have Ruckstell, the low range will amplify the transmission brake and the compression of the engine. I do, however, if stopped at a signal for a long time, use the parking brake to rest my legs.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:18 am:

The car should be left in gear until nearly at a stop. Using the hand brake will put the car in neutral and all the stopping will be done by the brakes. This will wear out the brakes faster than using compression to stop. Of course, I live in the mountains so I also use low range to stop going downhill. If you have Ruckstell, the low range will amplify the transmission brake and the compression of the engine. I do, however, if stopped at a signal for a long time, use the parking brake to rest my legs.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

I drive the way Stephen H. does. I have not thoroughly read all of the posts, but when I teach someone to drive my car, we practice on a vacant lot or a culdesac and I always keep the handbrake in neutral, which keeps the car in low gear. This allows the driver to practice stopping and starting without going too fast. My daily drivers have always had manual transmissions; thus, it took some time and practice to get used to how the left pedal of a T works. I had never driven T prior to owning my Tudor. The first time I tried to park it in the garage, I came within three inches of putting it through the bench because I stepped on the left pedal as you would a modern car. Fortunately, I accidentally stepped on all three pedals, killing the engine and stopping the car in its tracks. I about gave my wife a heart attack and she was watching me almost destroy what I had just purchased. Be careful and be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Into the garage and when using reverse I always have the emerg. lever at half way. Always. Requires less thought. Stopping while driving is done by thinking ahead, slowing the car in high gear by backing off on the throttle & spark levers then using the foot brake to actually stop the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

My brake band has fallen out of adjustment so bad that I have no brakes at the pedal. No problem, the
way I drive. I never go that fast anyway, and anticipate stops/slowdowns in advance by backing off the
throttle and spark before I get there, and using low as I get close. Only when I have to really stop it dead
do I set the brake lever, which I would do anyway when I park it.

As Charlie suggests directly above, I read on this forum this trick for backing. SgtMaj insisted on all
parking to be "combat parking" and I duly follow his orders to this day. There is a hole in the back of the
shop where I stuffed the old dog through the wall when backing in using both the pedal to keep it in
neutral (hard to do when also working the reverse pedal with my monster huge feet while twisted 180 to
look out the tiny TT boxcab rear glass). I gave Charlie's suggestion a whirl and will never do it using both
pedals again. Too damned easy using the lever !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration