Figuring out the year of a teens frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Figuring out the year of a teens frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

I need truss rods for a teens frame. In looking at Fun Projects site, there are different versions of the rods due to changes over the years. How do you know what year to get if you just have a bare frame? And does this mean there are two types of forged running board brackets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Craig, the earlier forged brackets tend to look more bulky. At the frame end, the arch between the two lower rivet holes is concave. At the same end, the cross section of the arm is quite pear shaped.

With later forgings, the cross section is symetrical about the vertical axis, and the arch between the lower rivets is convex. These later forgings will have flash marks along the top and bottom of the arms. On the earlier ones the dies used to form the frame end left forge flashings on the sides of the arms.

Hope this helps. Others may have photos.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Thanks Allan. Here's a pic of what I have.

Forging

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:34 am:

Both styles from Fun Projects will fit any 1909-21 frame, but to be authentic you should have a slightly shorter rear truss rod on for 1916-21, since Ford shortened it slightly to get three rods out of a standard length of material instead of two.

Here are some identification hints from the encyclopedia:

"Longer rear cross-member, beginning about 271,425 (May 1913), eliminating the forged body brackets. Early rear cross-members were relatively flat across the top surface; not raised as in the later versions. While using the same parts, holes were added for the new front body brackets in mid-1916, and for the battery bracket, starter switch, and battery cable support beginning in 1919. Beginning about March 19, 1919, the “Ford” logo began to be imprinted on the front cross member."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:39 am:

You really need to do you homework on that one. I'm looking for a '17 frame now, and they only used it for two years, possibly the early part of '19 too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Well, I figured out what it is (mid '19 or later - see pic) although I'd like to see some pictures of the earlier forged ends for reference.

frame stamp

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration