Magneto coil rebuild supplies ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magneto coil rebuild supplies ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

I just bought a used mag coil and i would like to try to do a rebuild on it but i don't know where to buy the supplies and instructions to do the rebuild. it's a single stack. thanks, Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Ask Total Recoil or R.V. Anderson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:29 am:

The how to is in the book, MTFCA manual, "The Electrical System".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Ken,
It can easily be done by your self but it will take some time. My first coil loop I did in 2006 for my 1926 touring and it is still working very well. As Ken Todd said the MTFCA manual, " The Electric System" is a great guide to rebuild your magneto coil loop.
I will try to post a few photos of the way I do it.
Good luck
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

That is a good job to leave to the professional, unless you want to invest a lot of time and money into rebuilding a bunch of coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Thanks Andre for the advice and the pictures. i have the MTFCA manual along with several others. i just didn't think to look in it for coil rebuilding. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

About 2003 I rewound 3 magneto rings. I followed the instructions in the book,"Electrical System". I found the tape at an electrical supply store in San Diego and the insulating material at an electronics surplus store. I made a tool looks very much like the one shown by Andre. My next door neighbor's brother has a boat repair shop in San Diego and I got the boat resin from him. I installed two of the rings in two of my Model T's and they both work very well today. I haven't had any problems with them. I donated the third ring to the club and it was auctioned off. I haven't heard any bad reports about it either. Then I bought a third T and needed a ring so bought a rebuilt one from Lang's. No trouble with it either.

If you only wind one, you will find that the materials will cost you about what a rebuilt ring costs, but if you wind more than one, you will have enough material to save on the overall cost. You will also know what you have in your car and you will have the pride that you did it yourself.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration