Timer confusion ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Timer confusion ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Picked up 3 boxes of T parts today
My roadster pickup has the new day timer
My roadster car has roller timer
I noticed that the roller timers are different on inside
Which is best roller goes whith which timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

The two rollers that you show can only be used with the bottom timer. The roller on the left is a Rush style roller and the one on the right is a Ford style. Either will work fine as long as they're in good shape.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

The top timer in your picture is a New Day. It uses a bronze or carbon brush. It's an excellent, reliable timer. But yours is worn and needs its inside surface sanded flat.

The middle timer is an Anco, or Anderson type. It uses a flapper. I have no experience using one, but a lot of people really like them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Steve
I have a few of the new day timers and that's what I'm running on my RPU and I really like it. The roadster I just got has roller. What's needed to switch it over . I started new one and it seemed to work good but I only ran it for a little bit because no water in it yet . Bad hoses. The only thing I did to new day timer on RPU is clean contacts with 400 grit sand paper and cleaned oil out once when having coil issues.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:50 am:

All you need is the timer body...

...and the brush.

Sometimes the inside of the timer is rough and needs to be smoothed.

For that I used a hole saw to cut a sanding block. I mount it on a bit of all thread with a disk of sandpaper and turn it with an air grinder.

That makes a smooth, even surface for the brush to contact.

Glen Chaffin suggested replacing the bronze with a carbon generator brush, which makes sense to me. I'd rather wear out a piece of carbon than the timer body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Thanks Steve
I think of you every time I'm cruising down a gravel road because of your video's. I was hoping it was a simple swap.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Steve: How difficult was it to drill the hole in the carbon brush for the stop pin, and I assume you drilled the hole for the spring too? No pictures of that operation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:34 am:

I had no luck with the spring hole. Trying to drill it wrecked a couple of attempts. So I made that hole shallow, just deep enough to keep the spring from wandering, and used a slightly shorter and lighter spring. So far so good. The pin hole was no trouble at all. If I remember correctly, I made the pin with a little piece of paper clip. I'll have to take some pictures the next time I do this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Thanks Steve for the info .
Good point Larry , I didn't think of that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:33 am:

An alternative to the carbon brush contact can be made from a starter motor brush. My son leaves the fixed wire lead in place and he solders this to the brush carrier for a positive electrical connection. Any of these copper type brushes can be sanded/ground down to fit the original brush carrier.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Thanks Allen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:54 am:

The vendors sell the brush for the New Day timers. I bought one for my 21 Touring and it works fine.

I've also wondered when using a carbon brush in the New Day how stable the stop pin would be in the carbon. I'm thinking it would be tricky to get it to hold in the softer material. People are doing it though so it can be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

That pin in the carbon brush helps to keep things together when installing/removing the assembly but has no function when in place and running.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration