Voltage 'leak'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Voltage 'leak'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

I've had a voltage 'leak' since I got my '24 from Dad when he passed. I put a cut-off switch on the battery right away. I've been busy putting on lights, etc... took it out for a drive to the Piquette plant today, then A&W for supper. The ol' girl died at a light on television way back. We pushed it off to the side, I checked a few things, then tried to crank start. She took right off and we made a beeline for home.

I assumed the main battery ground connection came off, as the starter and lights did zip. After some troubleshooting, I finally found the cut-out problem... cracked clamp on the shut-off switch! Tightened it up, and all was fine.... so.. will replace that puppy, tomorrow.

Part of the troubleshooting, was to pull the ignition switch/ammeter cluster and check, as I knew the switch was very sloppy. I reset the bronze spring contacts and re-assembled... tight as new, now... but thought it was odd there were 2 wires on one of the ammeter leads.

I went looking for wiring diagrams, and so far... I haven't found one that has a 2nd wire on the outside post. It's a yellow wire with black (or dark blue) tracer.

I'm not sure where it goes... maybe to the generator?

I'll try and trace it out tomorrow.

ignition switch/ammeter cluster with 'extra' wire disconnected

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:30 am:

That wire normally goes to terminal "K" on the ignition switch, but it would work the same if it was instead attached to the ammeter (bottom terminal on the drawing, (not sure what the letter designation is).

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

This is a picture I found on the forum some years ago. This is the 26/27 assembly, but the wiring is the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Very good... what might it go to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

No telling. All or most of your wires have the wrong colors. It looks like you have two yellow-black. You'll just have to follow that loom and see where they come out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Yes... the screen terminals for labeled items are in different places also, but suspect if I follow the names rather than switch positions, I should be good?

The 2nd yellow/black went to the generator. I have it disconnected at the generator, until I can test it, ir n pullout abdominal send it to someone to test.

I take b it the feed from the battery enters the cluster by ginger to the inside post of the ammeter, then the battery terminal on the switch, fed by the ammeter's outboard post?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration