Not right for my car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Not right for my car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Although I am not trying for a 100% correct restoration, I wonder about some parts belonging on my '21 Touring. It has oil burner cowl lamps and tail lamp, but it is an electric starter car. It also has a switch on the coil box and one in the dash. Would a '21 starter car have cowl lamps at all?[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/1015161704_zpsvhdaqknr.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/1015161704_zpsvhdaqknr.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/1015161657a_zpsjj2fshs4.jpg.htm l][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/1015161657a_zpsjj2fshs4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:54 am:

It appears to be a non starter car converted to have a sterner generator and battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 01:48 am:

I suppose that is likely. What other evidence would there be that it was converted to electric start? If that is the case , I guess there are/were a lot of Ts like mine , with the mix of parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:04 am:

I see you have some of those rare pedals blessed by the Pope to make them holy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Klemmer on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:34 am:

A true non -electric car might also still retain the twist style light/horn button, and the dash with switch would have been fitted later. Are the cowl light brackets integral with the windshield frame?

Generator, starter and battery horn could have been easily added to a nonelectric car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

What is the deal with my pedals? The holes appear to be from the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

I doubt that they're factory, maybe somebody bolted on home-fabricated hand controls at one time?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:03 am:

What would be needed to put a generator on a T that didn't have one? Front cover change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:49 am:

I believe there was a plate over the starter and generator holes on the non-starter cars that could be removed for the starter and generator to be easily installed as there was already a Sartre ring gear on the flywheel.
We are speaking about 1919 and later cars.
The electric lights could also have been removed in an effort to make the car appear older too. Kinda cool firming up the lights and driving around with the flames flickering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:13 am:

After I asked the question I read elsewhere that 1919 and later Ts had the holes and block-off plates for the starter and generator if the car was not equipped with them. I like the oil lamps.
The remains of a switch on my coil box will be removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:14 am:

I will install a set of rubber pedal covers and hide the holy pedals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 07:10 am:

Looking at your photos in photobucket I see a hood former from a 1916 or earlier T do you have a picture of the right hand side of the engine ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Yeah, I don't know why a previous owner put the earlier hood former on this car. The number on the engine matches the title , which says 1921. The hood former is new and I plan to remove it and sell it or trade for something I can use, like maybe a hood, a crank pulley, a crank handle clutch pulley, a timer,a starter switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Tommy, sent you a PM regarding the hood former, if it's a 15 I would be interested in buying it or trading for it. Drop me an email to discuss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Tommy you mentioned your coil box having the remains of a switch mounted on it. If you want to make your car a starter model you can find the correct coil box for it. The correct box would be one that has a smooth front. They are pretty common and easy to find.
Also a starter car would have a dash in it. The switch and amp meter would be mounted on the dash.
Its a rectangular unit that has the switch and amp meter in one unit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration