Healight and horn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Healight and horn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 02:41 am:

Hey all,

When I turned on my headlights on tonight, I noticed my horn was weaker. When I turned my headlights off, my horn was loud as strong as ever. What gives? Is this normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Derrick,

Bottom Line Up Front:

At engine idle speed yes that would be normal. For normal cruise speed -- I'm not sure.
For a "T" that does not have a starter / generator and is running a magneto powered horn and headlights and the engine is at idle that is very normal. At higher engine RPMs with a good magneto, you shouldn't notice it that much if at all.

The same is true for a "T" with the starter / generator when the engine is at idle. If you have a great battery, you won't notice it much. But at idle with a standard "T" generator, your lights and horn will drain more electricity than the generator is putting out. So they will be getting the additional energy from the battery. At higher engine RPMs the generator should be set to put out enough electricity (amps) so that both the horn & lights work fine.

Note that on my 1970 VW that is also generator equipped, the lights dim a little when I am at idle because the generator was not designed to produce a lot of energy at idle speed. I only notice they are dimmer at idle when I have the car parked next to the garage and when I speed up the engine to back up, the light pattern on the garage becomes brighter.

If it is also occurring at normal RPM for driving, with the lights on, then Iíll let someone who honks the horn and has the lights on at night answer that one.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration