A real mind blower

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A real mind blower
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

On the way home from a nice long T ride up Fla Rt 1 the T developed a rattle. It seemed to be only at one speed at first then it became more pronounced. I pulled over a few times to try and trace where the sound was coming from but I could not get it to replicate sitting still. It sounded like it was coming from the hogs head. So I kept driving and it just seemed to get worse. By this time Im just a half mile from and Im crawling ready to kill the switch at anytime. I pull the old gril into the garage and get my stethoscope out and listen to the engine and nothing sounds out of place. I raised and lower the RPM and I can hear the rattle without the stethoscope but not with it. Im standing there scratching my head and when I put my ear to the hogs head again this time I had put my hand on the top of the windshield touching the mirror and dammed if the rattle didnt stop! Screw was loose on the mirror making it sound like it was coming from the engine. Gotta tell ya, I felt both stupid and relieved at the same time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Sounds like it turned out great. We need a few easy days with these old cars. I just got home from a 200 mile model A run to a country fair and back and everyone made it no troubles today but left really early and just got home. It was good day for all of us I assume. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

One of my windshield pivot thumb nuts vibrated off a few weeks ago during a drive. Luckily, I saw it fall onto the running board and get caught so I didn't lose it on the road. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Just goes to show, you gotta safety wire everything on a T, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Had a similar experience with my T touring while we were in Florida last year. On a center mounted, clamp on rear view mirror a welded bracket holding the glass mirror started to break off. This allowed the mirror to swing down and vibrate on the wind shield. What a noise, sounded like it was coming from under the hood. Road side check could not replicate the noise. I decided to drive the car over my wife's objections. Barely got back on the road when the mirror broke off completely.

I called Langs for a replacement, I believe it was Ashley who recommended a model A mirror which bolted thru the wind shield frame. This mirror has much less vibration than the clamp on type.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration