Cracked and dented brass light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cracked and dented brass light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

So I picked up this pair of sidelights with the intention to make one good taillight for my speedster out of the two (one is missing multiple pieces). The brass is considerably dented and has some cracks. Is gas welding with brazing rod a viable option?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

I like silver brazing using "handy flux".
Heat the brass to a dull red and quench in water prior to ANY straightening work. And don't be afraid to re-anneal often!!
But you probably know all this!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Oh and I forgot to mention there is an electric plug in the bottom leaving about a 5/8" hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Brass can be welded but it is a skill few possess. The solder Les mentions is not as strong but is much easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

So this would be a skill that I should try to attain then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Sure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

It looks like your light was manufactured in about the 1913-14 era when they were transitioning from kerosene to electric. The light could have originally been made to burn kerosene or have an electric bulb.

Les pretty much hit the nail on the head as to what to do with it. I use the silver brazing like he talks about. My rod is 45% silver. Unlike regular brazing rod, it has a "wicking" action. With silver braze you can apply the silver braze from the inside and it will flow to the outside, filling the cracks as it goes. Once you try it, you will find all kinds of uses for it. It is a slightly different color than brass but it's pretty hard to tell if you keep it polished. I get mine at a local welding supply. Roughly 10 cents an inch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration