Gaining weight ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gaining weight ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

The year/model statistics found in this website's "encyclopedia" section are mighty interesting. What I've found most curious is according to the stats, a 1915 touring car weighs 310 pounds more than the 1914 touring. What would account for that considerable weight gain ? Any ideas ?

FWIW, we know the "high head" cars were de-tuned, less compression, and the addition of the self-starter added 90 pounds. Demountable rims added another 40. Convenience cost in terms of performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:49 am:

310 pounds is not a realistic number for the difference between a 1914 and a 1915 touring. I would believe 31 pounds for the beefier cowl section and hood former. I have one of each, I doubt there is much difference.

For sure the 1909 - 1912 cars prior to the slab side bodies introduced in mid 1912 are noticeably lighter and - if the engine is original - more powerful too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 07:37 am:

For comparison, I recently weighed my 1913 Touring on a "drive-on" type scale. It weighed 1,250 pounds. There were a few extra parts under the rear seat and a small jack that would have slightly affected the outcome.

Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration