Rear end -good news , bad news

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear end -good news , bad news
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:40 am:

My '21 came with the driveshaft and tube not installed and a rag stuffed in the hole. A new driveshaft was included but the previous owner failed to keep the old shaft and the pinion gear went with the shaft. So, I have NO pinion gear. A new one is not in the budget for anytime soon. Since the car is not going to be driven daily I will hunt for a used pinion gear.
The good news is that I can see in the hole, after removing the rag, and the thrust washer ( pass side has been replaced with a non-babbit one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 02:29 am:

good pinion gears are much more common than ring gears, so you are likely to be able to find one inexpensively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:22 am:

Tom, Here is one on Tbay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Pinion-Gear-10-Tooth-4-10-Ratio-When-Used-W ith-40-Tooth-Ring-/272415189110?hash=item3f6d35e876:g:T9gAAOSwPCVYAs6~&vxp=mtr

Also, I have seen them on and off for sale here too at pretty reasonable prices. You could place a wanted ad. Heck, someone might even send you one for cost of shipping (I know I would if I had an extra one). 10 tooth ones are pretty common.

What parts do you actually have for the drive shaft section of the rear end? I assume you have the tube, u-joint, pinion spool bearing (although the fun projects one would be better), the key for the gear, the nut for the gear and the six bolts to bolt the driveshaft tube / spool bearing to the rear end?

Maybe post up a picture of your setup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Oh no ! I don't have the spool or the bolts that hold it to the diff housing I guess the bolts wont be a problem but what about the spool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Bob's in loves park, Illinois has the bolts and Fun Projects.com has your spool.

The bolts are an uncommon thread size 13/32.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Mark one tooth of the ring gear and then turn it one complete turn counting the number of teeth. You will need to get the correct pinion gear to go with your ring gear.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:53 am:

I also have no brake parts inside the drums. I think I need to find a complete rear diff and driveshaft assy locally. I need to know what years will fit my '21.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Anything from 1915 - 1925 should fit your car and have the "correct" appearance, (except for tiny details).

If you find another rear end it may have the same troubles you've already got. If it doesn't, it'll cost more than the parts you now need. Put your money towards new or good used parts. The stuff you need isn't so expensive if you're patient in trying to find affordable examples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Tom, post up some pics of the rear from various angles and we can probably come up with a parts list for you as far as what's obviously missing.

I think at this stage I would be also inclined to just pull the rear and crack it open for a look inside to make sure all is well.

I know what it's like to have to piece a rear together, so unless you can find a truly complete rear axle ( that you would more than likely have to rebuild), at this point I would just buy the parts you need.

Post up the pics so we can take a look. If your having trouble doing that, email me them to me at crazydart400 AT yahoo DOT com and I'll post them for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Thanks for all the help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration