My rebuilt engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My rebuilt engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:51 am:

Although no invoices or receipts were given to me, I was told that the engine in my '21 was rebuilt and has not been started since. So far I removed a couple of the new spark plugs and looked in the cylinders. OK, looks new and clean in there. I plan to remove the side covers and the plate on the oil pan and have a look there also. Any tips on what to look for, besides the obvious clean parts, Should I put dippers on the rods if they are not already on there? I don't really want to remove any bearing caps unless I see something that makes me think I should. I will be looking for cotter pins and/or safety wire in any places where they should be. What else? thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 02:17 am:

With or without fresh oil in the motor all the edges of the babbit surfaces on the rod caps and main caps, should be nice and bright and shiny. If the motor and the oil in it has substantial run time, enough to discolor those shiny surfaces, you'll see it right away. also look for any surface rust on crank, cam, or lifters which can occur if an engine has set a long time after being rebuilt if it didn't have oil it it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:56 am:

Tommy,

You should try to get in touch with a local T guy who could help you to get the new engine running again. I would pull the transmission access cover and look to make sure there is safety wire on the clutch driven plate and the cotter pins are in place on the clutch adjustment screws. Get a transmission screen if it does not already have one.

You should not add dippers or anything else. If the engine rebuilder knew his job, what he did will work and work well. If he did not know his job, you will be wasting your time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Take a compression test. It'll tell you a lot without tearing it apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 10:46 am:

I would check the fuel source and make sure it has gas in the fuel bulb and carb and check the fire to make sure its getting spark. I dont have a model T club in my area in Georgia but if i did i would ask a club member to look at it as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:04 am:

tommy,

If your brief inspection shows new looking features then it's probably good enough to take the seller at his word and further, to trust the rebuilder. Just start her up and see how she performs. Just a note however. Sometimes new motors can be a bit stiff to turn until they're broken in. Short runs, (10 - 15 min.), at first may be best.

As Royce suggests, no point in fussing with the work of a presumably good rebuilder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:05 am:

DO however make sure your engine is topped off on coolant & oil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Tommy, 65 posts in under 3 weeks, is this the right blank for my car, how do I check my spokes, is my crank handle long enough, should I destroy this engine to see if the seller lied to me, etc. You've had the car for what - 2 days? And you're all ready to tear a possibly brand new engine apart and "improve it". I like your passion but you are making problems for yourself. I have some advice for you. Relax. Stop taking everything apart to fix or improve what you have no clue about. You want to hear the car run? START IT. It's a T - not a jet plane. You will survive even if it quits 1/2 mile down the road. Put the driveshaft in, fix your flat tire, add gas oil water - and drive it before you improve and correct it to the point where you have nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Man, there's some solid advice right there Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Solid, like a brick to the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Yeah I wish I had Tim's advice when I got my T. I enjoyed driving it for about two months, then decided to take the body off the frame to do a full restoration. 9 months later and I still hadn't done much at all. I could have been enjoying it for those 9 months while working out all the kinks on a running car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Tommy, Take it from a rookie, Don't make a lot(if any) of changes. Get it running and learn. Be careful what bolt is removed. One bolt can hold several things together.
Take your time and learn the car first. Then if you want to make the mods. Do it one at a time.

This is what I have learned so far. Don't ask about the one bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

You're right Tim. Guess I've been hogging the forum. Sorry , I didn't think of it. I can get more done by spending more time in the garage and less (or none) in front of the computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Tom, don't let one post turn you off to this forum. Most of the people here are truly interested in helping other T owners with their problems. Ignore the few, and please keep on posting away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:49 am:

You may have missed my point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Tim,

Your point was clear, well intended and wise. Your method of delivery was a bit rough. Tough love?

Tommy,

You have NOT been hogging the forum. Keep on posting and asking questions. I know you're excited to get your car up and running, which is great, just don't try to fix everything all at once. Every job is easier when broken down into smaller parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:38 am:

That was not tough at all.

Nobody hogs the forum. There's a lot of experience here being shared. I took apart my 64 Fairlane in 2004 with big plans. It's still apart and I wish I had left it the way it was. Same with my first T. If I would've listened to Dan Hatch I would've waited and started out with the second one I bought and been a lot happier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

When in doubt ASK! You've found the right place to ask. Make sure it has oil and water in it. If you haven't tried to start it already put the car in neutral and see if you can pull up on the crank fairly easy. Do this with the ignition off.

Make sure all the coils are firing. Turn the ignition switch to battery position. slowly pull up on the crank with both gas and mag levers fully up (retarded). In this way it probably wont actually start but you should hear if all the coils are firing. Do this slowly and you can tell. When all four coils are firing individually as you turn the crank, then try to start it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration