HOLLEY VAPORIZER--REBUILD OR REPLACE???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: HOLLEY VAPORIZER--REBUILD OR REPLACE???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I found a 1919 engine with a Holley Vaporizer Carburetor. I have seen both side of the issue of these carbs. cussed and discussed so don't need to hear much more of that.
Now I need to decide if I should rebuild or replace the vaporizer, so need a little help. If I replace it, do I need to also replace both the intake and exhaust manifolds, and if so what should I be looking for? And which replacement carb would be my best option?
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Yes; you need different intake and exhaust manifolds. Also a different or modified throttle linkage (which may cause you to pierce your block and valve cover too), choke/mixture controls and fuel feed pipe.
The NH carb is probably the obvious choice.
I'm keeping my Vaporizer, though if I had an NH, I'd keep that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Paul a 1919 block will have the hole in the casting between # 2 & 3 cylinders and,depending on the age of your steering column, it might have the throttle linkage in the right location as well making it a fairly simple job to switch to an NH. Just make sure you get a good straight exhaust manifold, the intakes are not much of a problem. The repro exhaust manifolds are well worth the money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I made this adapter to run an NH on a vaporizer manifold. No need to replace the manifolds.
Adapter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Putting a NH right at the Vaporizer intake manifold would mean the adapter could be a lot easier to make, though you would need a fuel pump too..

Here's from the clown car discussed in another post today, a '25-'26 NH on a Kingston Regenerator manifold:

clownish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Ken:

I have never seen one of those adapters. How difficult are they to find?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Jim, Ken wrote: "I made this adapter" so they can only be found as raw steel to be cut and welded into shape..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

I sent my troublesome vaporizer to Russ Potter who worked his magic. Best carburetor ever on the T. Don't know what he did, but he did it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

So what is a good working vaporiser going for these days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

I had to get the vaporizer off of my off of my 27 roadster and went to the NH. I bought a intake and exhaust manifold to make it work but it runs nice now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Russ Potter is good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration