Spot lamp or unusualy single headlamp?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spot lamp or unusualy single headlamp?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Well a purchase finally arrived and I think I got a spot and not a head lamp. There is a release catch on the side instead of a screw and a "large" base on the bottom. The front and back are copper while the main body is brass. I can find small traces of nickel plating on the body. The rear was removed to remove the glass lense (which I also got). There is no handle and does not appear that there ever was on the back (remember the large piece on the bottom). The burner has a total of 10 holes and a legible patent date of January 6, 1903.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Sorry, slow loading and pictures did not show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

What is the diameter of the mirror?

I have a Victor spot light with the same prop mounts as you show. The "handle" and pivots are on the base mount itself.

I believe the burner is called a Naphey style and looks like a 1 cubic foot. Should have a number stamped on it somewhere.

The acetylene burners were as common as a 60-watt light bulb back at the turn of the century and used in all homes and businesses lit by gas. The same burners fit the car headlights as well but the Model T uses a 3/4 or 5/8.

I use these on John Brown 16's and the Victor's but they should fit your light too.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

Ken-

Any chances of a picture of yours? The only other stampings on the burner are "BRAV'S 1/2" LUTA0" The 0 is supeerscript and there may be a space between the L and U. Mirror diameter is about 5.75".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Looks like a motorcycle headlamp with 1/2 Cu Ft burner size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

I could be wrong but it seems a bit "big" for an early bike. Diameter of the body is about 7" regardless I plan on using it as a spotlight and it is about perfect size for the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Model T mirrors are 6". The lamp wouldn't be too big for a MC. What headlights do you have?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

They have been in storage for a decade but from what I remember all brass T. All these parts are for the distance 1912 racer (touring speedster) Im building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Stumbled onto this earlier today...

Like yours????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Very similar, different hole pattern on the top (could be the difference between the lamp size). Im lovin it, the era is perfect for the speedster.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration