Model T safety inspection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T safety inspection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

I took my Explorer for inspection, was talking about my Model T and was told it would have to have a safety inspection before it could be on the road. Did not go into details of what that meant.

Other than the basic stuff what is involved in a model t safety inspection. I assume wheels, suspension, brakes, lights but considering that the basic car did not have turn signals and seat belts how does that work when it come to a safety inspection. The car is in NY, I know rules vary from state to state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Peter, there are two different type of inspection stickers in upstate NY (not NYC area), Emissions/Safety and Safety only. Any vehicle less than two years old OR 25 years and older gets a Safety only sticker ($10). Everything else (24 years and newer, but more than two years old) gets the Emmisions/safety sticker, which requires them to plug into the OBD port on 1996 and new vehicles.

Your Model T falls into the safety only portion. Thus they can (should) be checking on brake operation, E-brake operation, steering for excessive play, all lights currently on the vehicle work, and a horn. If you added a functioning brake light, or signals they should work too.

Basically if your vehicle would pass the rigors of a tour safety check, you will pass a NYS safety inspection. I am a licensed inspector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

You need to check with your DMV as well as with other NY T'rs as rules do vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks guys

It's strange to think that if the car does not have turn signals it would pass but if it has turn signals and one bulb is out it would fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Yea, that's what he said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

What is really fun for me, The guy jumped behind the wheel and I asked him if he knew what the pedals were. "Well of coarse. Break, clutch and accelerator." I said close but no, better let me drive it into the bay. Boy was he pissed, and refused. I called for the manager. The manager was an older gentlemen and told the kid to move over and watch and learn. I hopped in and pulled it into the bay. He had no idea. Chuckle for me.
I got an inspection for it just in case I needed it to get the plates. The county clerk didn't even ask for it.
Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

In those states that require inspections (many don't), I believe the general rule is that cars are required to have those features that were stock equipment when they were manufactured. So a Model T would need to have working headlights, for instance, but not turn signals. But it wouldn't surprise me if some states required retrofitting of certain safety items like mirrors. State laws vary widely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Yes Peter, That is the way it is. If you retrofit a vehicle with optional safety items, they have to work. Otherwise the car is grandfathered in as it is in stock form. Basically any light on a vehicle better light up, or it can fail (spot lights not included obviously).

NYS is basically an unregulated state for inspectors. Meaning that what one guy sees as passing, another may not. This is how inspectors get in trouble with the state when the state tries and perform their test vehicle/clients at local stations. It is also a state that does not have state run facilities---but rather (as you know) sublets it to repair facilities. Therefore again, it becomes even more murky on what truly goes down when a sticker is applied to the windshield.

I know some inspectors that will just scan the registration on the windshield, hit all the safety check buttons on the computer and put a sticker on it for something like a Model T. I also know some that will want to make sure at least most of it works as it should.

Take it from someone that doesn't want to loose their inspectors license, I will check. But currently, I do not work in a facility that does inspections. I too now am at the mercy of a inspection peer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

Thank God for the Grandfather clause, or for some of us, we'd be screwed..:-) All they really care about in the end, is collecting the yearly excise tax and inspection fee. I have had nothing but good luck with the place i bring my T,..They basically scratch their head, ogle over the T, and hand me the inspection sticker. Sometimes you catch a break in a State that rarely gives you too many. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Steve, I think I would have let him try to drive it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 04:02 am:

Yeah! Watch him press really hard on the gas pedal and wonder why it doesn't move. Then he lets the clutch out, the car jumps and dies.
No, actually, he could hit something in the process. Especially when he tried to hit the brake and backed into the car behind you.

And, continuing the thread drift to other states and their silly rules, Califunny sometimes makes it clear that the grandfather clause applies to everything. EXCEPT rear view mirrors. TWO are REQUIRED by law in the state, retroactive back to the beginning of the automobile. One MUST be on the outside left side of the vehicle. But since there is no safety inspection in the state (shhhhh!), it becomes an enforcement issue, and many antique automobile owners choose to take the chance and don't install mirrors. My coupe has two (completely legal!), the boat-tail currently has none (haven't found any I like on it yet). I have an original brass era accessory mirror that will go on my '15 runabout.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:26 am:

As funny as it would be to watch a "knowing driver" get behind the wheel and have at it, I agree with Wayne. It could end in disastrous results if the vehicle did not stall.

As a pain in the A it is to have to get inspections done and pay the fee, I cringe at states that do not do it. I often wonder how some vehicles are even on the road here in NY and with those vehicles often think to myself that must have gotten a "lick and stick" inspection.

What happens when one of these vehicles breaks the frame or suspension component due to rust and crashes into a family on their way on to an outing or trip? Or a rusty brake line rusts through, or dry rotted brake hose or tire lets go. we are not talking a faulty wiper blade or bulb outage here. This stuff happens and the consequences for everyone involved are huge---including the guy that passed it and put the sticker on it.

Drive safe out there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:00 am:

My yearly description of getting my T inspected are my most popular Facebook posts with hundreds of likes. Every year it's something different since the garage where I go always has the "new guy" do my inspection. The first hurdle is that the VIN number always bounces back in the DMV computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:53 am:

In Texas out of state newly purchased antique vehicles of any age need a safety inspection "Pass" to get the first set of plates. After that no more inspections.

So I pull the 1910 into the bay and the guy wants to see the cowl lamps work. I pull out a book of matches and light one. He looks at me and says "OK I think I have seen everything I need to see".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:33 am:

I live in NY, one major chain would not inspect my car because they could not work on it. I usually take it to a small local garages. They all love inspecting the car. They look at the tires, have me turn on the lights and beep the horn. We have a few laughs, then they take pictures to show their friends and families.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Do you have roller brake testers in the safety inspection stations over there?

We only need to do a safety inspection once on any 1950 and earlier vehicle over here in Sweden, and Model T's has an exemption from the brake test since you would only test the strength of the differential in those rollers..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I did some research and came up with quite a lot of plain-English material on New York State seat belt laws (and one pdf file which covers each of the United states—everybody should have a copy of this one).

All my forum buddies are invited to send an e-mail to me using this e-mail address...

solovox572@aol.com

... so I can then then e-mail these documents directly to you.

Some of these documents can be found online here:

http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle-and-traffic-law/vat-sect-383.html

and here...

http://ypdcrime.com/vt/vtl-seat-belt-guide.htm

and here...

https://www.hudsonvalley.aaa.com/sites/default/files/NYS%20Occupant%20Restraint% 20Law.pub_.pdf

and here...

http://newyork.drivinguniversity.com/driving-safety/new-york-seat-belt-law

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration