Nice old TT except.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Nice old TT except.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:37 am:

Went to JeffCity today to see Union Pacific's UP 844 roll into town. The locomotive was a BIG,black, fire breathing beast. Got some good vid also. After that my nephew and I went over to WallyWorld for coffee and saw this nice old survivor in the gas station parking lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 02:55 am:

It's not the safest electrical design, but none the less effective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 05:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Wow that is one scary looking battery setup! Looks like a short-circuit waiting to happen.

Another WOW...gorgeous steam engine, even though I don't particularly like those big flat sides that partially obstruct the beautiful view of the boiler. So hard to fathom the sheer mass, massive weight, etc. of these behemoth workhorses of the period! Just fantastic. A living, breathing machine. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Yes,Thank you for the pictures!!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:14 am:

The railroads should be required to have a tour through every state at least every other year with those steam engines so everyone can learn and enjoy history. I LOVE THEM! My grandfather was an oiler on a steam engine in the teens and 20's in Butler Pennsylvania. As a youth I remember the old empty round house at one end of the town that was demolished in the 60's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Unfortunately, UP is the only major railroad that still operates a steam shop. BNSF, NS, SP, and all the others have dropped out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Putting in some type of shim or cardboard in the coil box to make a better connection for the coils is a common trick for a better buzz! Neat old trick their using in the TT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Is that a BIG BOY? I saw the one that was at the LA Fairgrounds for many years. It sat behind the tower at the start of the drag strip. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Scott,

No. Big Boys have numbers in the 4000 range.... and have a lot more wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

We have several steam engines here in Portland Oregon including the 700 and 4449. While BNSF, NS, SP may not operate a steam shop, others have come to the rescue;
http://www.orhf.org/
I think he was just saying that's one big boy not calling it "THE BIG BOY".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

UP took the Big Boy that was at the L.A. Fairgrounds and is currently restoring it to operating condition at their facility. Can't wait to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

That engine has a wheel configuration of 4-8-4. The Union Pacific "Big Boy" was the largest steam locomotive ever produced. The Big Boy was 4-8-8-4 with two sets of driving wheels. There were 25 Big Boys produced and 8 have survived. I have seen 3 of them in Dallas, Denver, and St. Louis. See Wikipedia at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Big_Boy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

What amazes me is the huge size, height and weight of the behemoths and they still run on the standard 4' 8 1/2" gage.

A large train steam shop operates near Berlin Ohio called "The Age of Steam". Google it. I have tried several times without success to get out T Club a tour.

The Henry Ford Museum has a round house and is actively restoring/repairing steam trains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

BigBoy UP4014 is currently at the Cheyenne Steam Shops to be restored. They moved it from the LA Fairgrounds last year. The Challenger is being worked on also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

If you ask, you or your son or grandson is likely to be able to climb up into the cab. I had to go buy my grandson a pair or long pants and up into the cab he went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

You might want to check out the H-8 Allegheny 2-6-6-6. They were bigger than the big boys in most areas with the exception of tractive effort. Actually, Greenfield village has one of two remaining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Jon,
How recent has your T club tried to arrange a tour? At first, after the roundhouse being completed, it was decided to be strictly private. As of now, it is not open to the 'general public'. Our Railroad Historical Society did charter a bus tour earlier this summer. It is my understanding tours can be scheduled to accommodate a minimum of 20 folks, up to a maximum of 50. I would suggest contacting them again and see what's possible.

A bit of trivia regarding the #844, it being referred as one of the 'FEF' class, stands for the Four-Eight-Four wheel configuration.

Steve,
Those are great photos! Are they from the current trip the train is on? I see it will be passing through and making a few stops in Kansas. Are you close enough to catch it?

Tim,
I get what you mean about "the big flat sides" the smoke deflectors aka "elephant ears" You either love them or hate them! The engine crews sure liked them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

The 844 photos have to pre-date 2013, as that's when the big read light on the front was taken off.
the Flat Sides are smoke deflectors and help lift the smoke up off the engine so the crews can see better--AND breath better!
The Missabie (miss-spelled) had a series of 4-8-4s that were a bit larger in tractive effort.
Many of the other Class 1 railroads have management that thinks Steam Engines give them a bad image of not being "Modern" thinking, so don't allow steam on their lines, also the railroads are pretty busy, and the traffic managers hate special movements--it messes up their whole day. There are a number of private preservation groups keeping large and small steam engines running.
George, how about an overall view of the TT? The close-ups are nice and yes, that battery set-up looks like an electrical accident about to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Steve jelf said UP is the only RR with a steam shop. When did Norfolk Southern terminate there's; or is it still around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

TT with heated running boards, nice rare option. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Looks like a melted wiring in the works or blown up battery. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Terry,
NS decades ago--a change in management terminated the program--actually killed it, selling off all the spare parts for 1218, which was in the midst of a major boiler overhaul, auctioned off everything, and then, probably because of the publicity heat, put the 1218 back together enough to look presentable and it and the 611 went to the Virginia Museum of Transportation, The current NS management is supportive of its OCCASIONAL operation as a public gesture. The museum has a goal of building a service building for it and two other N&W steamers. The 611 underwent quite a repair/restoration process and seems to be in good order now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

The photos of #844 were taken September 9, 2007, at Caldwell. Yes, I aim to go see it again on the current trip, probably at Coffeyville.

The last time I looked at the AOS website, over a year ago, it was strictly private. But if they're allowing group visits now I wouldn't mind visiting the place with some group.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration