Old Photo - Auto Camping At Mammoth,Yellowstone National Park

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Auto Camping At Mammoth,Yellowstone National Park
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

What a great picture and how camping has changed. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

When I was a kid, Dad had an old oil canvas tent that weighed sixteen tons.
I remember setting it up with him when I was really small. In the 70's, he
bought a 24' Taurus camper trailer and towed it around behind a Chevy suburban
just like Steve Jelf's.
Not sure what the "big plus" was for this massive logisitics challenge, but he
and Mom seemed to like it, as did little sister. Widdo Bwudder and I still preferred
to toss our sleeping rolls out on the ground and sleep under the stars.
I have several friends who play the RV game. One travels 9 months out of the
year in one of those monster diesel pusher jobs with a small car in tow. Another
just bought a 28' trailer and a big-ass Dodge truck to pull it. This is something
besides "camping" to this observer. Driving around on boulevards and interstates
in search of RV parks with hookups and hot showers is a whole different game
than how I play it, or what we see in the photo above.

Different strokes, I guess. I just insist on remote locations and hard-to-follow
roads. Hard to get your "freight train" into places like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:50 am:

My family's resort started out as an "Auto Camp" and we still have the 1923 cabins. I heard my brother tell a prospect on the phone, "It's deluxe camping." In today's world, I guess it is; bed in small room, toilet and small shower attached and small dining/kitchen area with sink and 2 burner gas "camp stove". Modern refrigerator on back porch.
Nice porch on front with two old metal chairs.
Yep, that's about what modern folks call camping--no TV, no air conditioning, no carpet, just old linoleum on the floors.
BTW, the attached carports some cabins have are just big enough for a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:59 am:

Work with me here .... went and met up with some friends at a campground a few
years ago. "Campers" a few spots over had a #@! TV set up on the camp table and
were fussing to get antenna reception !

Isn't the point of camping to leave the living room at home ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

That looks like a slice of heaven to me. I'd love to take my T camping in the national parks. Drive in, set up a tent and a little fire pit/cooking area, and then just wander around for awhile. Now that's a vacation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Looks to modern for my parents, I see a picnic table in background . We never stayed in campgrounds. If you didn't take it you didn't have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

I'm glad to see they picked a large "shade" tree to camp under. Perhaps next time they can find one with leaves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

We once met up with some fellow A club members at a campground near Squaw Valley for one of the swap meets they used to have there. We had our fabric tent (with wooden poles) and they had RVs. Went over there for dinner (pot-luck) and they were BBQing steaks, baked potatoes, etc. and had a TV going too. I told them, "Heck, I don't eat this good at HOME!"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration