Hazel's Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hazel's Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

I just watched this episode of the TV series "Hazel" which ran from 1961 to 1966. This would would have aired in early 1964. Hazel wants a car for herself and ends up buying a Model T Touring.

Fun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6yrA7kIEUQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Great find! Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

My wife's grandpa did the lighting for that show. Neat episode :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

That is a good find Eric, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

I don't remember this episode, but I remember one where Hazel gets a Model A Ford and uses a sandblaster on the car.
Does anyone else remember that one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 06:44 am:

great one! I've forgotten how great some of these old shows were!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Too bad we can't buy 'em for $25 any more.

Thanks for link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Or $1250 either (in that condition) ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:28 am:

I remember in 1957 my parents bought a new Buick. Up until that time we had a model A sedan as our family car. Dad also had a model A coupe that he used to run around the hills in. The coupe finally got to where it would not run any more so he used parts off it to keep the sedan going. I remember that he sold them both for $25.00. When the guy came to buy them, of course the coupe was not running so he put a chain between the two and pulled the coupe up the ol dirt road and out of the canyon where we lived with the sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Painfully corny. Gotta love the ambiguous "account man" doing all that vague "work"
sealing important deals of hinted definition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

If you watch the old "Lassie" show, for much of it, the family uses an ice box, until they get a modern electric icebox. They also usually drive older trucks (often pre-war) and the old neighbor character drives a T roadster--oh and they have a hand crank telephone. In the mid fifties, that was normal in rural areas, and wasn't done as a "spoof" by the series writers.
It's a time long forgotten. We had dial phones as a kid, but only had to dial 4 numbers, and then we had to dial the 5th number, the last digit of our prefix (CEdar5); and any call out of town, like say to Mount Shasta, 8 miles away, was a long distance call and you had to go through the operator down in the phone company building in town, at the "Central Office." Ofttimes our operator was Candy Miller, an old family friend (and now a near relative, her niece having married my nephew)! Small towns can be great.
So, some of what you see on "Hazel" was just fairly normal at the time, although situations were exaggerated for the humor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

I grew up in a rural area that was rapidly being eaten up by sprawl. The wet
conditions of western Washington made plant upgrades of the phone system
a much more regular occurrence, so we had few instances where the old stuff
survived continuous updates.

I'm failing to see the connection to Hazel and small town living, as Mr. Baxter
clearly stated that he could not access his prospect who was holed up all the
way across town (justifying his need to use the car) in a sixteen story building.
His client also needed the $100K property to expand his factory to keep his
gov't contract. Sounds like a pretty fair city to me. Looking out from Baxter's
driveway, the neighborhood looks pretty suburban.

One of my favorite possessions is a brass letter opener that advertises for the
Todd Feed Co. in the town where I did most of my growing up. The phone number
is simply "2". Considering the place is now buried under freeways and condos
and sprawl, it's hard to imagine the place with Model T trucks delivering hay
and seed after that single digit phone call was made !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

True, Hazel is set in an urban setting--but folks were still known to drive older cars around their too--I was just mentioning another TV show from the same time period and the things in it that were commonplace much longer in a rural area than in the urban areas. When I go visit my niece in Seattle, very near her house is Stewart's hardware, still in the same building they were in in 1915, and still has the feel of a real hardware/lumber store. No streetcars on the street in front anymore though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Just watched that whole episode on my phone.
Wonderful!
"It differs slightly from the new models." he said.
Duh. :-)
That was fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 03:16 am:

I grew up in San Jose Califunny, my first six years just a few blocks from the famous Rose Garden. In those years, there was still an old man that drove a model T, black era runabout turned pickup. I clearly remember him crank starting the car several times. I knew then that I wanted one some day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 03:49 am:

There was also an episode of my three sons that involved a t. Haven't seen that one for forty years. Looked for it, but am succumbing to Mr. sandman influence now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 05:55 am:

So Wayne, it sounds like you probably attended M.R. Trace Elementary School, Herbert Hoover Junior High School and Abraham Lincoln High School. We lived a short distance away down Park Avenue. Without meaning to be nosey, if I'm right, what year did you graduate Lincoln?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Henry, For Kindergarten and first grade, I went to Hester Elementary. It was the old buildings built right after the '06 earthquake (I really liked the old buildings and the steam heaters, even though they had quit using the steam heat before then for safety reasons). After that, we moved to the Willow Glen area, I attended Blackford (appropriate?) elementary and middle school, followed by Del Mar High (we considered ourselves to be "Del Martians"). But I knew the Park Avenue and Alameda areas very well. Used to walk to Andy's pet shop, Greenlee's bakery, and sometimes, the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum (I loved that place!). The Alameda was THE busy street in those days (four lanes most of the way from downtown San Jose to the El Camino in Santa Clara). There were several places along the road that had pedestrian under-crossings. I thought they were neat! But, that was before gangs and violence took over the area.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:04 am:

Wayne,

Actually, I attended Hester for kindergarten through 3rd grade. Then the school district changed the boundaries and informed my parents that my little brother would attend Trace when he started Kindergarten. Further, the big brother (me) could either stay at Hester or go with little brother to Trace. I then went to Trace for grades 4 through 6.

I was at Hester from fall 1953 until spring 1957. We're we there at the same time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 02:07 am:

Henry, You are just a bit older than I. I was born in '52, think I started Kindergarten in fall of '57. Still, we must have been walking around the same neighborhoods. The funny thing is, that my grandparents raised peaches in Modesto at that time. So that was where we spent many holidays, and most harvest time. We could have crossed paths either place. The house I grew up in (first six years) was on Villa Street, just a block off the Alameda. My mother didn't drive till years later, so we walked often, and fairly far.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration