What's up with copper head gaskets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What's up with copper head gaskets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barrancotta on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 08:42 am:

Three of the major parts suppliers I checked with are out of stock on copper head gaskets and have them on back order. Anybody know what's up? Is there a supplier problem? Seems odd that they would all be out of stock. Should I wait or are non-copper gaskets ok? I should mention that I had a failed gasket and a head with an older repair, so I'm going to the aluminum Z head. (If I can find a gasket...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:13 am:

I have plenty in stock, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:02 am:

I have used a steel head gasket with no trouble whatsoever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ashley Lang on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:33 am:

We try and give our customers as much information as we have anytime a part is out of stock. There is one major manufacturer for those copper head gaskets. The machine that actually presses the two halves together broke. It has been taking a long while to fix and the shelves are empty as many of you have seen. I spoke with them last week and they assured me they would be up and running soon, but best guess is a couple of more weeks before the copper head gaskets are back on the shelf.

As Bill said, the steel ones are not bad. The silicone ones we have as well, but cannot be used on the Z heads. If you have one on backorder with us we will get it out as soon as they come in to us. Hope this answer helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Just call Bob, nobody mentions him much around here but he's the only supplier I've ever used and I can't imagine how the other guys could possibly be any better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Thank you, Ashley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barrancotta on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Mystery solved!
Thanks to Ashley for the explanation. I knew there had to be a reason that so many vendors were out of stock.

Thanks for the heads up Bob.
I just ordered one from you and also realized that the nice chrome hood hooks I bought on eBay are coming from you as well.

Sure is nice that our hobby is supported by so many great vendors!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:55 am:

If three dealers are out of stock on an item and you need it quick, try some of the others. I can think of at least six good Model T parts dealers to try before resorting to you-know-who. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Yer BAD, Steve.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Well, if you order from "that place" you probably won't get it until all the others have it in stock anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Steve, that wouldn't be the one whose name is associated with "And Cheese" would it? :-)
I lucked out at a swap meet and bought a box of miscellaneous gaskets--there were about 4 T head gaskets in the pile! Now the Nyah Nyah nyah part-- I think I paid $5 for the whole pile--adn this was after mid-day!! I forget what the other gaskets were, I've long since traded them off to others (V-8 gaskets, etc. I forget!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

I order a silicone head gasket from Lang's a week ago.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3002SIL.aspx

Works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

I have about 40 left in stock, Mac's just bought 50 from me last week, the manufacture is out for about 30-40 days, thank you Tony, your order is complete and going out today, and as always we will refund excess on postage charges, Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration