TT dating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT dating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Can someone please tell me how TT frames are different by year?

Also what years used the 23" rear wheels? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:38 am:

The bare chassis didn't change very much between 1917 and 1927. The only change to the chassis that I know of is the rear cross member was made longer in the later models, 34 1/2 inches, and had 2 body mount holes on each side. The earlier models had a shorter rear cross member, 30 1/2 inches I think, and only 1 body mount hole on each side. I'm not sure when this change was made but I imagine it was not later than 1924 when Ford started offering cabs and beds.

There were changes to the rear end clam shell and the running boards too, but they're not part of the bare chassis in my mind.

Outside of these items I don't thing anything was changed. Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm or prove me wrong.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Thanks Henry
Any other input is welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:38 am:

I thought you were asking about taking your date out in a TT.

It works. I think a single guy with a TT could get a lot of dates just by driving it around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:45 am:

A little drift brought on by Burger's comment:

When my wife and I were first dating I was driving an old (at that time) maroon Ford Ranchero, it was mostly a ranch truck. There were horse road apples rolling around.

Years later she mentions it from time to time. My position is that it was a test and she passed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Back when I was dating my wife in the early 70's I had a '51 F1 that needed a starter. I drove it about three months that way, and always parked on a hill to make it easier for her to push for a jump start. I was considerate like that. Many a time we went out to dinner and then she had to help push it to get it started. She never complained, and we still laugh about it. Great wife, I don't think they make them like that anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Hmm, I know Ts tend to reproduce left in a Garage, but I didn't know TTs dated. . . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Tom,

If you're working with a truly bare chassis there's not much to go on other than the rear cross member length, and that only offers "early" or "late" information. If it has other components that appear to be original you can get clues from:

1. The firewall, metal or wood?
2. The steering column, what years was it used?
3. The patent plate on the firewall.
4. The running boards, 15" or 18"?
5. The rear end clam shells, bead at axle tube or not?
6. Radiator shell and apron.
7. Does the rear end have a pinion shaft or a pinion spider?

Of course none of these will pinpoint it. At best by process of elimination it will narrow down the possibilities to just a couple of years. Obviously, all of this detective work is needed only if there's no engine number available that is believed to be original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:50 am:

I thought that someone posted in a earlier post about Model TT frames that some time in early 1925 Ford stopped drilling the side frame holes for the engine mounts. Does anybody know if this was true and have more info as to what month ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Yes, the holes in the side of the frame were removed. I believe that it was in April of 1925.

Another difference was that the cab mounts changed in early 1924. Very early C cabs had the single hole mounts starting in late 1923 and changed sometime in '24 to the double hole mounts.

(Message edited by JunkyJud on October 20, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

Thank you Justin for the 1925 TT frame info. I have a TT chassis that doesn't have the side holes, has 23 inch rear wheels and a Hall Scott Ruckstell. The motor is a 1926 style with a number in the mid to late 12 millions, the third number is hard to read. There are no readable numbers on the frame. The front fenders are one 1924 style and one 1925 style, the running boards are the short 15 inch ones. I call it a 1925 as that is the calendar year that best matches it as it is today. In general parts on TT's got changed out to keep them working . Do you know when the 23 inch rear wheels were last used by the Ford factory ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration