Questions about "Non-Skid" Tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Questions about "Non-Skid" Tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

I'm trying to answer a question for a friend who is thinking about trading for a NOS pair of 30x3 "Non-skid" (front) tires for a Model T. These are old NOS tires that someone had in storage for many years. They are black tires (not white or gray). During what range of years would these tires have been produced? Can anyone venture a guess as to what they might be worth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

They were originally produced from about 1913 - 1930.

Reproductions came about 1955 and have been continuously produced with a few interruptions until today.

If they are old and hard they are wall hangers with little value. If they are marked "Made in New Zealand" and are soft then they might be worth $100 each?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Royce,
I have not seen the tires myself. I was told that the tires seem to still be somewhat soft/flexible. The friend believes that the tires came from someone who bought them long ago and stored them in a dark garage or basement. They did not come from a restorer. I was thinking about trying to buy them from the friend, if he gets them. I would not want to use them on a car. Rather I would just use them as antiques in a display. I would like to have a ballpark estimate on the value, so I would know what to offer for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Rick, if they are usable tires, you could easily trade them to someone who has some hardened tires that would display nicely, but not be install-able on a rim. In this case, you would probably be able to ask more for your good tires than the "bad" tires would be worth.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration