Made my own dash light cap.How do you give copper and brass the aged look?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Made my own dash light cap.How do you give copper and brass the aged look?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

The dash light was missing the cap or cover. The new ones being sold are about 35 bucks. Mine is mounted in a hole in the dash the ones being sold are surface mounted so I figured I could make my own. I used copper pipe and made a brass end cap.
It’s one of the benefits in having a lathe.
It was not just the money but the satisfaction of making it yourself.
I was going to paint it black or leave it as is.

Does anybody know how to give copper and brass the aged look?

capmag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

can't upload more that 2 pictures?

cap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

can't upload more that 2 pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

You should be able to upload more than two pictures. Pretty sure I've done as many as six or seven occasionally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

More than two or three may not show up in the preview. Just hit the button again and a different two or three will show. All if them will be in the final post.

Aging copper & brass: Don't polish. Just wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

To age it just handle it with your bare hands. Mine only takes a few days after someone touches it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

It's as close as Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16/153-9377604-5912866?url=search-alia s%3Daps&field-keywords=brass+darkening+solution&sprefix=brass+darkening+%2Caps%2 C178

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Nice work Peter. I like seeing fun stuff like that. Troy has a good suggestion. If it was mine I would try to match the black on the base. On these wheels I put gloss black on and then daubed flat black over it. After it dried I scuffed it with a scotch-brite pad. I also like to let a little muddy water dry on it and let it wear off from use. The main thing with patina is it is not consistent all over. Some random nicks would help.
The nice thing is you can try several things to get it like you want.

Thanks for sharing the project.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

A solution of vinegar and salt will rapidly patinate brass and copper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Thanks Rich,

I'm soaking a test piece with a concoction I found on the internet vinegar, salt and ammonia.

I also thought of burying it in dirt for a week or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Set it outside for 85 years. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Chrome shops can simulate an aged copper finish they call florentine copper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

I usually pour some loose black powder on it and light it, of course building and working with flintlocks I have black powder handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Liver of sulphur will turn copper near black, but does not tarnish brass. Sulphur in the gunpowder will likely put a patina on copper. Brass will acquire a patina when exposed to the fumes of ammonia, or similar solutions . . . like urine. Fuming gets more result than applying the liquid.

I'm really curious about the vinegar/salt solution, as that mix will remove all tarnish from copper when applied hot. ?? Maybe it makes for a patina when cold ? Chemistry was never my long suit . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:23 am:

It appears your dash light was painted black. That should solve the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Rich's post reminded me of the story that Rodin used to instruct his children to urinate on his newly cast bronze sculptures to give them the patina he wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Just about any mix of green antifreeze and water will tarnish brass like crazy—which is something I've learned because the riveted-on neck of my radiator leaks and after each ride, I must wipe up a few little neon-green pearls to avoid the overnight tarnish they would otherwise bring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Just remember nitrogen (what's in pee) also found in mirical grow will turn the parts green. For a proper patina the parts need to be browned and then if you like somewhere where they may frequent salt air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:04 am:

If it were mine I'd just paint it satin black (to match the rest) and call it a day. If you really badly wanted to accelerate the wear on it to catch up with the rest of the car I suppose you could take the cap off, drop it, then reinstall it every couple of days for a few months to simulate ninety years of bulb replacement, but I would just let it age naturally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Decided to paint it

cap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Looks good Peter. I have the opposite problem - I'd like to have a nice bright, shiny brass one to match my brass speedster. Would you be interested in making another one out of brass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

That looks great. I realize in the fever of getting it tarnished I forgot to sat what a fine job you did of making it !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Thanks Rich.

Seth,
I would have no problem making it but the material would be a problem.

I made mine with a piece of copper pipe and a scrap piece of brass. The brass was used as an end cap soldered to the end after it was machined to fit.
You want a solid brass cap so I would have to have a piece of brass rod. I did a quick search of Granger's, they have 1 1/4 dia. x 1 ft. brass for 83 bucks McMaster-Carr only have 1" dia. Stock, the cap OD is 1 1/8 and the ID is 1" and its 1 ¼” long. The length and size of the hole for the bulb hole were a guess on my part using a photo. I would need a piece of stock at least 2” long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Seth - most if not all dash lamp covers/hoods were brass - find one that fits & polish it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Steve that sounds like a good plan if I can put my hands on an original one. I don't have a dash light at all, so the only ones I've seen are the reproduction units the vendors sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Here's one on ebay

$150.00!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-H-D-PANHEAD-VINTAGE-DASH-PANEL-HOODED-LIGHT-BOBBER-HA RLEY-NICKEL-KNUCKLE-HEAD-/141437003355?fits=Model%3AModel+T&hash=item20ee4d665b: g:KVEAAOSwdsFUOw2m&vxp=mtr

This one says it's nickel plated brass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-H-D-PANHEAD-VINTAGE-DASH-PANEL-HOODED-LIGHT-BOBBER-HA RLEY-SMALL-HOOD-RAT-ROD/141437013278?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=ai d%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D01cdab47bd9344f58ee2 338471623f20%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D141437003355

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I'll see what I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

I have used this shop class method a few times. Just dip the part in motor oil and burn it off with a propane torch. May have to repeat several times to get look you want.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration