Running!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Running!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

I finally put the rebuilt starter on that I got from Lang's last night.

A little recap - Starter had been working fine, then stopped turning over, so new battery, new cables, new starter switch, and it still did not turn over. I took it to a local rebuilder who said it only needed the terminal fixed ($30) and I reinstalled it and it did not work. So I bought a rebuilt from Langs and finally got to install last night. It still would not turn over!!?!?!!?

I rechecked the battery, my charger said it was fine and fully charged. I took the battery back and had the counter guy check it, it was weak, probably a dead cell. Sheesh, a NEW battery off the shelf caused my problems.

I put the new new battery in and she turns over fine.

I checked the rebuilt starter I had cursed the rebuilder for, it works fine. So now I have a spare starter.

TT cranks great now. Time to fire her up. But no pop. I removed each plug wire from each plug and turned on the key, they all had a good 1/2" of spark. I removed the plugs and put a little gas in each cylinder, replaced the plugs, and tried to start her. Lots of popping, but it did not start. It used to run, can't be the ignition. I decided to call a local guy who belongs to a T club before I pulled the carburetor and in talking with him he realized that I was saying that all the plugs fired simultaneously and continuously. That had seemed a little strange to me, but she had been running and I had not messed with the ignition. He said the four wires coming out of the coil box had to be shorted.

Long story short, TT has a '27 engine with a metal coil box mounted on the top of the engine. If the metal top to that box is put on backwards it will short the terminals coming out of it from the coils.

She is running now, rough, but running. Thank you Lee.

I have a few other things to do now, but hopefully I will have time tomorrow to get her smoothed out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

The backwards lid reminds me of this.

None of us "experts", some with years of experience, could figure out why we couldn't get this truck started. Then Verne Shirk returned from lunch and immediately spotted the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

You learn something every day. Sometimes it takes a real breathing hands on teacher to put it over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

That's nasty Steve. We once did that to a car during an overnight stay on a tour. It took quite while for some cool heads to work out why the car wouldn't run. Our practical joker had one pulled on him!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I set the spark, set the throttle, turned on the key and...

SHE STARTED! Free start!!!

I adjusted the carb, spark, and throttle and got her running the smoothest I could.

I backed her out of the garage. Low, reverse, and the brake all work well. And I was surprised at the power. Isn't it supposed to be 20 HP. 20 HP was a lot more powerful back then than it is now, my 20 HP lawn mower is no where near as powerful as TT.

I use my left foot for low.
I also use my left foot for the reverse pedal.
And I use my right foot for the brake.
Is all that correct?

I have not put her into high yet.

And I sit immediately to the right of the lever parking brake. That doesn't leave much room to get to the low pedal.

There is a valve to stop gas from going to the carb. Should I turn the gas off if I turn off the truck for the night?

Obviously I am having a lot of fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Congratulations, it sounds like everything is working right! Some folks (including me) have bent their parking brake levers over to the left to give more room for their left leg and foot. I did mine cold, using two very large crescent wrenches. 10 to 15 degrees is plenty. If you go too far, the handle will rub on the footwell when the handle is forward.

Yes, turn off the gas valve when parking for the night! If for some reason the carb float valve leaks, the entire gas tank can slowly drain out onto the floor. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:22 am:

You won't get any tickets for "display of acceleration", but a stock Model T in good shape has enough torque that all the other cars don't go off and leave you sitting then the light changes. An especially light one, like a roadster, gets around very nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:37 am:

In the future, you might be finding you'll be using your left foot on the left (clutch) pedal to keep it in neutral and your right foot to back it up, to turn around, so you might rip down your driveway one more time. I do. Piece of cake. Sorta.
Yeehaw! High speed is coming!
Too cool.
If that parking brake lever is rubbing your leg (like mark suggests just above), reform it (cold) to suit you. All of mine rub me wrong so they get reformed...
Once again, shut the gas off when done. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration