Rear bearing failed in my alternator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear bearing failed in my alternator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

I have a 1924 Model T Coupe. Sometime in the 1990ís it was converted to a 12 V system with a distributor. It also had a Delco-Remy CS 121 alternator installed that is used on a lot of GM products. Three years ago, I had the alternator changed to self-activating and generally overhauled by a company that specializes in this type of work. Recently the rear bearing went out and I only have, perhaps 2,000 miles on it. Any ideas what could cause that bearing to fail in such a short time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

Chinese bearing!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

If it's removable you might be able to buy just the bearing. Take it to an auto parts shop to match it up. #'s and bearings are used for years & years so chances are it's available. Even foreign stuff uses bearings that are already being manufactured. Years back a $100 Nissan belt tensioner pulley used a $10 bearing that was the same as an older style Chrysler alternator. D something or other. I forget the #. Why did it fail? No tellin'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

The belt tensioner bearing on the Honda passport
(ISUZU RODEO) fails about once a year. The replacement bearing made in china costs about $7.00
The experience of changing it?... PRICELESS.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration