New Tires. Summit Racing. True Story.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New Tires. Summit Racing. True Story.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Trying to get a set of tires in the cheap and was considering motorcycle tires, but couldn't get the width or the sidewall dimension I wanted. Looked at the usual suspects and found some nylon tires from Langs for $99 each and no listed shipping. I called them and they estimated $160 to my location. I hesitated because they wouldn't guarantee that rate, it could be more and they'd just ding the credit card the charges they needed. I balked.

Looked at Summit Racing as I had purchased tires from them in the past for other vehicles. Found a nice tire for my 21" wire wheels from Coker for the same $99 per tire, but FREE SHIPPING. So I felt I was getting a better tire for the same money and saving the shipping. Now for the fun part....

I literally ordered them and paid for them last night around 10:00 in the evening. Got up this morning and got an email confirming the order and letting me know they were in stock and ready for UPS pick up. UPS just dropped them off on my front porch at 6:30 in the evening, THE SAME DAY!

I had to unwrap them. I love the smell of new tires. I'm one happy camper. Now I need to wait for the tubes to come in so I can break out the garbage bag and get the mounted.

Just had to pass on some good news for a change. Here they are:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-78705/overview/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Robert, I have been dealing with Summit Racing for many many years. They are the Lang's of the performance market and have huge buying powers with many vendors of all types and can make things happen that a smaller vendor can't....case in point free shipping over $99

For you, they also have a warehouse in Georgia, which is probably how you got them so quick. Also a warehouse in Ohio (home base) and also in Nevada.

The good news also is they sell items from performance parts to parts for your everyday driver to any power sports vehicles. Now mind you I do shop around myself, but they are always a top contender on my list. I also get fantastic deals with their store credit card that often has interest free payment deals that I take advantage of quite often.

And I am sure you have nothing against Lang's I would think, but shipping things like tires and other large parts especially as of late is often a hassle and expensive for a smaller company. UPS has a non box charge that jumps pricing up, I am not sure about Fed Ex. I do know if I was shopping for something expensive like Tires, free shipping would entice me a lot. Of course if you just moved up here to the wonderful northeast, you could drive to Lang's directly and pick them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I have three sets of tires from Summit. Free shipping and no sales tax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

I'm lucky have summit racing hub in my town
They carry Coker
And free drop ship to my house can't beat that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

NEVER thought of Summit for OLD tires!
Great tip and Summit is a great place to buy from too....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

I have also bought old style tires from Summit offered on EBAY. Same deal as what Robert found. Also have bought Optima batteries from Summit offered on EBAY. No tax and free shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:01 am:

I've also bought a mirror for my 66 Tempest and a few other things from Summit. It's surprising what they deal in. I've also bought a lot of odd things from Advance Auto. If you can come up with a part# it's worth checking around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:27 am:

Summit has a big store right there with you in McDunnah GA.
I'd say that's why you seen the fast turnaround ... I'm 25 miles from Coker Tire but the last tires I bought I almost ordered mine from Summit due to free shipping just because of not having to drive down to get them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:30 am:

Do you really think the shipping is free?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:49 am:

Michael, of course shipping is not free. Along with your free lunch. The shipping is writen into the price. But it is a good "feel good" phrase to get your attention. It works for me every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Thanks Robert I saw this and showed it to my wife... she said you do need new tires for the "T" if you have the $ get them! :-) Have I ever said I love my wife! :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Robert, Are you putting them on wire rims?
Could you post pictures?
I am looking for a new set of tires.
Great find and thank you for passing it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Here's where my wire wheels are today. Once the paint dries, I've got the tires, tubes, liners and flaps and will install the set ASAP. You bet I'll post some photos.

Here's my wife, the shop foreman...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Robert-(and foreman) ---Flaps are not used on drop center rims. Liners yes. Flaps an emphatic NO! They are too thick and will not go down in the drop center properly. Others will echo this. Can be dangerous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

The picture in the front is a Model A wheel. It won't fit a Model T without a special adaptor.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Norm, I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing as I admit I only skimmed the thread. You can't use flaps on any drop center rims. If I am overemphasizing the obvious, forgive me. Model A wheels are drop center, too. NO flaps.Usi g them is a bad mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, October 21, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

I just tossed out an old deteriorated 21" flap that had "Do not use on drop center rims" printed one side. Now I know what they were talking about.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration