Model T tool kit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T tool kit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Hello all, if all goes well I will be making a deal for my first Model T tomorrow, and I hope to get it in the next two weeks.

I would love to get a nice vintage tool set and wanted to see if anyone has anything available.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

If nobody steps up with a full set, you can assemble one piecemeal, the individual tools show up on Ebay frequently. Be aware that, just like the car, there are variations in the tools by model year.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Thanks Mark, I really hope to get a decent vintage set that is together already ( i am not smart enough to get them all on my own!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Please put the model year and body style of your car (and a picture, if you have one) of your car in your profile so that folks know which set of tools and tool bag to offer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Thanks, it is a 1917 roadster, and i will put a picture up soon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

I suspect you may pay a hefty premium buying a complete set, if you can find one, rather than hunting down the pieces one or two at a time. Some tools are common and cheap, and you'll find them quickly. Others are less common and likely to cost more, but still can be found with a little searching. One tool, the #1902 screwdriver, is mighty scarce. If you find one and the seller knows what it is, you may suffer sticker shock. Given all that, buying the individual tools will let you assemble most of a set in short order, more economically and faster than waiting to find a full set already assembled. Finding out what tools you need ain't rocket surgery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Putting together a set of tools for a 1917 is a heck of lot easier than for the earlier brass years of 1909-13. We still discuss (argue?) about what tools are the correct ones for those early sets. However, like Steve said, that screwdriver is a really tough one to find. Some of us simply find a screwdriver that looks somewhat like the correct one. Then we spend years (the rest of our lives?) looking for the right one at a reasonable price. I have sold at least 3 of the correct ones on ebay. One of them brought $160. Another one brought about $25. The last one was not in excellent condition but I felt sick seeing it going that low. You never know what will happen on ebay. Also, the correct oil can and tire pump will probably give you sticker shock too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Rick..yep. I recently got a fairly beat up #1902 on e-bay for $80 bucks but was tickled pink to even FIND one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Yep is right. I got my 1902 at a local flea market. $2.00. The seller said people like those wooden handle screw drivers. He had no idea.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration